Being sued for deceased in-laws loan default

Status
Not open for further replies.

gh66

My father-in-law died in 2007 with a will leaving everything to his wife, who died in 2008 without a will and no executor. They had four adult children. The only estate they really had was a small property with a mobile home on it, and they were making monthly payments to a realty company for that. When she died, three of the four adult children had no interest in the property or being executor (they had lost contact with the fourth, who still may not even know her mother has died) and the property reverted back to the realtor, with no inheritance to any of the four children...and no known issues. Until today, when we received notice of legal action by the owner of the realty company against all four children and their spouses. The action is seeking payment of the full remaining amount that had been owed on the property plus interest (for a total over $9000) on the grounds that there was a default of the original loan. As far as I can tell the default occurred with the death of the mother, and none of the children co-signed for the loan. Would we have any potential responsibility for this loan? My wife and I live in Nebraska and the suit was filed in Kentucky, so we do not have ready access to a Kentucky attorney.

One other item of interest, the date of the loan was March 23, 1986, yet in several places in the court papers it refers to an "unrecorded" loan made to the parents on "March 23, 2009"...almost a year after the last parent died! Are these typos or was this some legal maneuvering on the part of the realty company?

Thank you in advance.

Update: I have discovered that it was not actually a loan, but a lease with an option to buy (which they could never do because they could not afford they lump sum). The lease clearly states that if they fell behind in payments for 90 days or more the previous payments would be considered rent, the lease and option to buy would be null and void, and the property would fully revert to the leasor. So I don't know how they could sue us for a default on an amount due. Suggestions?

Also, I live in Nebraska and the suit is in Kentucky. My parents, who still live in Kentucky, got a sggestion for an attorney from a friend of theirs, but he charges an up-front fee of $2500, too rich for a grad student on part-time jobs and my secretary wife. How can I find an affordable yet decent attorney from 850 miles away?

It is unlikely that the children and spouses would be liable under the terms of the lease - at worst, the property was encumbered by the lease, but the property reverted to the realtor. If there was any debt owed by the estate, it wouldn't pass to the heirs anyways. However, you don't want to lose this by default. Get an attorney in Kentucky, file a defence, and tell them politely to get bent and stop wasting your money and theirs money on legal fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back