Being sued by an attorney for fees for not doing anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamwojo

2 years ago a local very small town attorney reviewed a slander/libel case for me. He said he could help me and wanted to "see the hospital administrator get what's coming." He wanted all the information to review. At this time no retainer was signed, no discussion of fees. He reviewed everything over several weeks, came to my office, had a doughnut and drank coffee and talked about other things he had heard. A lot of gossip talk. After reviewing everything he thought I had a case, but then he said because it's such a small town with small town politics he wasn't sure he should take the case, told me he would likely be going up against corporate lawyers and though he might have a friend in the city who could take the case. He called said attorney and faxed everything to him. That attorney did call me, told me the case sounded winnable, but was overwhelmed with his own litigation and saw no possibility of a sit down for 6 or more months. I made other calls, found another city attorney. Then I got a bill from the small town attorney for 2500.00 for what I would say was no more than and hour maybe hour and 15 minutes of direct face time, most of which was gossip over coffee and a doughnut. I asked him what the bill was actually for; he said phone calls, faxing, copying etc. I disagreed with the fee and told him I did not intend to pay either that much or for really what I thought was not any reasonable work for what he charged me. He sent bills monthly for several months. I moved no bills. Then I received a phone call, again told him I didn't think he did anything for me and his charge was unreasonable. Bills received at new address. Now nearly two years later I get a summons for small claims. I would have considered maybe 1 -2 hours standard rate, but this is clearly excessive. He is friends with the local magistrate. Any advice? Thanks.

Yes, defend the case in small claims. I agree, without a retainer, he has no legitimate claim.

I'd also speak with the state bar about his behavior. Once you file a claim against him for his unethical behavior, this con-artist might withdraw his baseless charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back