Garnishment Being sued and possible garnishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee4

I have a debt collector trying to collect on a bail bond i signed for my son in 2007. Im disputing that I believe I paid the bond of $500 in full but they said their client just submitted the claim to them earlier this year saying I didn't and owe $850. They won't say what my balance was but that the total includes interest. They say if I don't pay I need to prove I paid it off by my checks or some form of paperwork from the creditor. However, I don't know if I can obtain check copies or statements from the bank (if I remember which bank acct.) or if I have Money order stubs (whatever method of payments I used). They said they will enter a judgement against me without a court hearing then garnish my wages. I live in the state of MD. My question is, can they garnish my wages for this type of debt, can they enter a judgement without me having a hearing of any kind, and can they sue me for a debt of this sort after so many years? Is there a statute of limitation when I have not been notified that I supposedly had a balance for several years? Even when they had all my contact information. I just can't see a bail bondsmen not trying to collect it's money for several years then turning it over to a collector. What is my recourse and rights if any if I can't find the necessary information from several years back?

I have a debt collector trying to collect on a bail bond i signed for my son in 2007. Im disputing that I believe I paid the bond of $500 in full but they said their client just submitted the claim to them earlier this year saying I didn't and owe $850. They won't say what my balance was but that the total includes interest. They say if I don't pay I need to prove I paid it off by my checks or some form of paperwork from the creditor. However, I don't know if I can obtain check copies or statements from the bank (if I remember which bank acct.) or if I have Money order stubs (whatever method of payments I used). They said they will enter a judgement against me without a court hearing then garnish my wages. I live in the state of MD. My question is, can they garnish my wages for this type of debt, can they enter a judgement without me having a hearing of any kind, and can they sue me for a debt of this sort after so many years? Is there a statute of limitation when I have not been notified that I supposedly had a balance for several years? Even when they had all my contact information. I just can't see a bail bondsmen not trying to collect it's money for several years then turning it over to a collector. What is my recourse and rights if any if I can't find the necessary information from several years back?

The debt may have been sold by the bondsman to the debt scavenger.
I suggest you contact the bondsman and find out what they can tell you about what you paid, or what you might owe.

Then, read the agreement you signed.

Its a tad different than many contracts.

If you no longer have it, ask the bondsman if he can give you a copy of a blank one so you can reacquaint yourself with what you agreed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back