Being sued 7 years after divorce for debt wife paid when married?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mph155

My wife wants to take me to civil court to sue me for some of my personal debt that she paid while we were married. We were divorced 7 years ago. At the time of divorce this was never discussed, was not an issue, her lawyer wrote the divorce papers, and my understanding is that once the divorce was final, her property was hers and mine was mine and that we could not go after each other for anything. We have been divorced 7 years now and she wants to go after me for this money...which would amount to a few thousand dollars.

Does she have a valid claim to take me to court over this? or did it end with the divorce resolution?

Last edited:
You say she paid your debt. There's no reason, divorce or otherwise, for you not to pay her back. Think for one moment if the situation were reversed, wouldn't you want to be paid back?

Do you mean your ex wife? No she has no case. Not only has the SOL likely expired, but she should have asked for this in the divorce. I would ignore her. She cannot decide 7 years later she wants to be repaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back