Being pressured/threatened by landlord, need help fast

Rochelle

Jurisdiction
Oregon
My landlord today presented me with the option of either giving 30 days notice and receiving a "neutral" reference from them, or being evicted promptly for two main reasons listed on a form shown to me but that I was not allowed to retain a copy of. The first refers to an incident in June when my friend's new boyfriend (unknown to me at the time) came over to my house with her and was subsequently arrested at my home because of an outstanding warrant (probation or parole violation; I forget which exactly). The second incident happened about a week ago when a casual acquaintance of mine apparently became angry because I wasn't responding to his phone calls and physically broke into my apartment, damaging my front door. Frightened, I called the police. I later received a noise complaint notice for this event as well. Because the person who broke in was known to me and had previously been a guest in my apartment, the landlord told me in no uncertain terms that the incident was being considered my fault and a violation of my lease. She went on to list other acquaintances of mine who have had criminal issues in the past.
I guess my question is, if I opt not to succumb to the pressure and sign this 30-day notice, can I really be legally evicted for these events, over which I had no control? While I have no criminal record of any kind myself, it's true that I have, through some old friends, been acquainted with several people who do - is it truly allowed to kick someone out of her home for knowing people who have been in jail? And is it my responsibility to know whether or not a person has an outstanding warrant before allowing that person on the premises? She is claiming my neighbors don't feel safe because of these events, but I have seen no documentation to this effect. In addition, there have been several inaccuracies in the notes she's placed in my file - namely, one that I would not allow the police to enter my apartment to arrest the guy with the warrant, which is untrue, as the guy ran into my house and locked me out when he saw the officers; she also claims that my "son" told the police I was friends with the guy who broke in, but as I have no children, I can't be sure where that information came from.
Lastly, she has told me I have until 4pm TODAY to voluntarily give 30 days notice or she will proceed with a 72-hour notice for eviction. I am frazzled and feel she is deliberately not giving me time to determine my rights in the situation, hoping that I will take her "generous" (her words) offer of 30 days and a neutral reference instead of an eviction. I'm sorry for the length of this and for any parts that seem confusing; as I said, I'm frazzled and upset. Any advice that can be offered before my deadline would be much appreciated, as I simply can't believe this is allowed and yet assume this woman would be careful about getting her legal ducks in a row. Thank you in advance.

Yes, you can be evicted for criminal activity in or around your rental unit.
The LL can't evict you, but can give you a three day notice asking you to leave.
Should you choose to ignore it, which is your right, the LL could choose to file an eviction action for the grounds you stated.

A trial would be held, and a judge will decide. If the LL prevails, the judge will issue an order directing the sheriff to toss your junk to the curb and you with it.

The process can make it extremely difficult for you to rent decent housing for decades. It can impact your FICO score, and even cost you potential employment.

If you take that path, you buy yourself an additional seven to eight weeks.

If I were in your position, I'd take her generous offer.

Back