Being Harassed(?) by a Friend's Ex

Status
Not open for further replies.

dweezie

My friend's soon-to-be-ex-husband sometimes attempts to call me dozens of times in a row. I have only spoken to him once before, and that was shortly after he and my friend married. Since they separated two weeks ago, he has been calling at odd hours (3 - 4 a.m.), and once even left a voicemail on my phone wanting me to pass along the message to his estranged wife that he was going to kill himself. I have never answered his calls, but I know it is him because my friend has warned me about what numbers he's using. She also will not accept his calls and is in fear for her safety. He has been convicted of a felony and from what I understand from my friend has other warrants out on him. She has encouraged me to pursue whatever courses of action are necessary against him to ensure the safety of myself and my family should he ever try to go beyond placing these annoying calls. I sincerely do worry for my safety, and I have two young daughters whose safety I fear for as well. What can I do to protect my family? Is what he's doing harassment?

The quickest and easiest solution is to change your number. Make sure it's unpublished and unlisted.

Otherwise, prepare to deal with the legal system.

The solution isn't quick and sometimes nothing gets done.

Change your number.

Changing your number is the fastest fix, but isn't always practical. Besides, you shouldn't have to.

Do not answer the calls. That will only encourage more calls.

You have two other options you can consider besides simply ignoring him.

1. If your state has a law like California does, these repeated and annoying phone calls could be a misdemeanor offense. You can report the calls to the police and see if they will do anything. Part of the problem is that it is difficult to prove who is actually making the calls unless he is leaving voicemail messages. However, police contact might get him to quit.

2. Police contact might also make things worse... and you could also consider getting a restraining order. With a restraining order in effect he will commit a new offense every single time he contacts you, regardless of the reason or the time of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back