Before I Sell Anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennyCraneFan

I've scoured every copyright forum and laws I can find but I'm still quite confused.

Noel Cruz, a great artist and personal inspiration, "repaints" dolls like celebrities, characters from movies and his own creations, and sells them for quite a lot of money.

I would like to do something similar, but I'm not sure how. Would I have to send in pictures of my finished works to the company who owns the copyright on the characters?

As an example, I want to do Meryl Streep from Mamma Mia for my mother because it has great significance to her from when she in the hospital for nearly a year. I understand as a gift, this should be fine, but she told one of her friends about my talents and her friend wants me to about 16 dolls for her! I wouldn't want to infringe, but that's too much work not to get paid for.

I'm sure Noel Cruz does so legally, because he is quite a celebrity, being featured in doll magazines and on the internet and has been for some years now. I'm sure if he was doing so illegally he would have been sued by now.

I've also heard of some guy in China who tattoos Disney characters on pigs and then sells them or their skins which I'm sure Disney wouldn't endorse, so I know there is a way to do this safely.

Sorry I had to post this very specific question, but thanks so much for your time!
Bre

Are you willing to pay the appropriate costs to obtain permission to use X celebrity's image in such a manner?

If you are - problem solved.

I hope this doesn't show up twice, my laptop died when I clicked "post."
I just wanted to say thank you, and it sounds much easier than I had imagined.

Any advice on how to talk to them or the people who'd be able to tell me the price of that?

I'm can't tell you what to do and take my thoughts for what they are.

First, it's not a simple task to obtain rights agreements as one may think. There is a cost to the company to hear what you want to do, consider the use and draft an agreement. I'm not saying they won't do it but if there is no revenue in it for them, consider it the absolute bottom of priorities on their long list.

Second, understand that anyone who owns a brand will start to worry about how many you will sell and who will receive them. What if you get in an order for 100? 500? They want to sign one agreement and be done. Don't be surprised if they want some type of up-front licensing fee.

This is an expensive business. Here's a thought. You can always paint your own dolls with a little inspiration as to style. So long as you don't pass off something as an obvious rip-off, you can take your talents and put them to good use in a place where you see a niche and benefit from your own creativity. Every artist is inspired by something. It doesn't mean that the finished product is considered a derivative work of the original. Moreso, if it's not an obvious rip-off few will bother with prosecuting a questionable lawsuit. Best of luck and I hope your talent is discovered in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back