Breaking a Lease Bedbugs

Tenantblues

Found bedbugs in unit near ceiling in master bedroom. Notified rental office. The pest control arrived the next day. He states that the bugs are in a strange place he's never seen them near a ceiling. My mattresses are covered in plastic. Didn't retirn until a week later to spray the unit. Never explained the process of being cleared. I emailed rental office a week later to find out how will I know if my unit is clear. Same day the pest guy shows up and I work from home. Tells me I have to leave unit for over an hour. Later on that day I email the rental office to find out how long it will be before I'm cleared. She doesn't know. So I ask to break my lease. I've lived in many places from new York to North Carolina and never encountered bed bugs. They tell me they will release me from my lease but they are going to keep my deposit. I moved in this unit in December 2014 and I've had some issues with the condition in which the apartment was maintained. And upon move in I noted these issues and they told me to submit maintenance requests. Why submit maintenance requests when it is listed on my move in checklist. So my question is the lease says if I break my lease I would be charged 2 months rent. I'm not breaking the lease because I want to but I'm breaking it because of the bed bugs which they didn't notify anyone in my building that I had them. Because obviously I didn't bring them in I haven't fully moved into my unit my things are. Still in storage in North Carolina. The bed Bugs were bIting. I have pictures of where the bed bugs were found. Please advise. I need my deposit to me into the new place.

Found bedbugs in unit near ceiling in master bedroom. Notified rental office. The pest control arrived the next day. He states that the bugs are in a strange place he's never seen them near a ceiling. My mattresses are covered in plastic. Didn't retirn until a week later to spray the unit. Never explained the process of being cleared. I emailed rental office a week later to find out how will I know if my unit is clear. Same day the pest guy shows up and I work from home. Tells me I have to leave unit for over an hour. Later on that day I email the rental office to find out how long it will be before I'm cleared. She doesn't know. So I ask to break my lease. I've lived in many places from new York to North Carolina and never encountered bed bugs. They tell me they will release me from my lease but they are going to keep my deposit. I moved in this unit in December 2014 and I've had some issues with the condition in which the apartment was maintained. And upon move in I noted these issues and they told me to submit maintenance requests. Why submit maintenance requests when it is listed on my move in checklist. So my question is the lease says if I break my lease I would be charged 2 months rent. I'm not breaking the lease because I want to but I'm breaking it because of the bed bugs which they didn't notify anyone in my building that I had them. Because obviously I didn't bring them in I haven't fully moved into my unit my things are. Still in storage in North Carolina. The bed Bugs were bIting. I have pictures of where the bed bugs were found. Please advise. I need my deposit to me into the new place.

Last edited by a moderator:

The ONLY answer is to take the landlord to small claims court.
That's equivalent to placing a large bet on the pass line of a craps table on the come out roll, and hoping that you get 7, and not see 2, 3, or 12.
In other words, its a gamble, but its all you've got, if you want to chase that unicorn.
No one but a judge can say that he owes you $500, for example.
But, even if that happens, you then must endeavor to collect that judgment, again, no one will help you do that!!!!

Google = "deposit suing Landlord YOUR COUNTY, NY"

Good luck.

Back