Beaten and molested by father, and now the IRS thinks I owe them $34K

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenBelle

I'm 26 years old now, and dealing with a major drama that is literally about to leave me with a lot of bald spots from ripping my own hair out. The abuse my father put me through is described in the title of this post. When I was 20, I began having flashbacks, only then even begun to grasp the magnitude of the abuse. He was controlling my trust fund, I didn't want to speak to him anymore, he wouldn't give it back, so I filed a lawsuit and held it over his head that if he would not settle out of court I would also sue for the sexual abuse, so eventually it was settled out of court. Fast forward 5 years later, when I was young, naive, and felt I needed large amounts of drugs to deal with the abuse, I went through all the money very quickly. Plus, at the time I wasn't up for a long drawn out battle, though now I want justice so badly, I'm working 2 jobs but still can't make ends meet, plus I want to go to college and get my degree before my youth is over.

To make matters worse, the way he liquidated the money for the settlement means the IRS thinks I owe them $34K, which is more than I make in a year working 2 jobs. According to a lawyer who I'm working with on this, my only hope of not having my wages garnished is demonstarting to the IRS that I'm unable to pay this because of not being able to hold down a job thanks to mental issues from the abuse. It did say in the settlement agreement he was supposed to send me forms so I could file this with the IRS properly, which he never did.

I have attempted to see if any lawyers will help me file a lawsuit for the sexual abuse, or if any prosecutors will throw him in jail. Because of my age(which isn't even that old, obviously these damn statue of limitations laws were written by patriarchal men who think that girls who were molested asked for it!), and because there was a clause in the final settlement agreement from the trust fund case that said that I renounce any claims that he sexually abused me(which I was unaware of when I signed it, then again I was 20), this is proving to be more painful than beating my own head against a brick wall.

Furthermore, this IRS drama is preventing me from being able to go to college, as I can't get Pell or Stafford Loans.

Surely I would think there would at the very least be a way to make him liable for the $34K, not me. And surely that there would be a way to hold him accountable in a court of law for molesting me. I don't know what top do anymore, except that the legal system is making me feel worse than a whore.

Can anyone help me, whether it's with advice or lawyer referrals? I live in Georgia, scumbag who doesn't deserve the dignity of being called my father lives in Indiana, and the abuse happened in Tennessee, Indiana, and Florida.

Thanks so much, I really need all the help I can get right now and then some.

If you sue from the state you live in your state might not uphold the settlement aggrement you signed (i'm guessing you signed in a different state?) With IRS contact a tax attorney. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back