baught a car from a friend but never transfered title can he come take my car a year later

L

lisarichartz

Jurisdiction
California
I bought a car from a friend almost a year ago. (I know don't judge you don't until you've lived my life). I paid in full, $2000 for an old 95 Yukon that barely ran, but I never transferred the title to my name and I guess he never sent in the release of liability? Well 2 days ago he came and stole the car out of my driveway and wants money from me in order to get it back. First it was 300 and now its 3000 Is this legal? To make matters worse I left all the paperwork I had on the car in the car including the old title. Can he keep my car? Can I report the car stolen? In addition some of my very ill mothers medical equipment like her wheelchair and oxygen she needs to live was in the car.

Can? Can? Can?

He "can" do it because he already did do it.

You "can" take whatever measures you want to take.

Whether they will do you any good without proof of purchase is anybody's guess.

Start by calling the police and see how that goes.

You might have to sue him.

Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you.

Did you get a bill of sale from him when you purchased it a year ago? I would have come and got it to if you hadnt changed it over into your name.

He didn't have right to take it from you, but proving it is going to be the difficult thing. Talk to the police.

Back