Battle with Auto insurance company

big_too

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello, I recently was involved in an auto accident, it was my fault and no one was hurt. I called my insurance just to be informed that my policy was cancelled two days prior. I asked why and was informed that my drivers' license was suspended. I was unaware it was that it was suspended. So I asked how come I was never informed of the cancelation, not by email, text or the App? I was told that cancelations were sent by mail only and one was sent out on September 17th. Now I'm not denying that they sent it, but I haven't seen it as yet. When payments are due, I'm reminded by every possible outlet there is. What can I do? What are my options?

Your options are few. You an contact the agency charged with regulating insurance companies in your state to determine if it can help.

When your insurance was cancelled the DMV was notified electronically so your vehicle registration is also suspended. If that is the case, you are required by law to immediately turn your plates into the nearest DMV office.

Check the fine print in your policy. I suspect there is probably something that states that coverage will be cancelled immediately if your license is suspended. They may not be required to notify you in advance. They certainly aren't required to notify you by every means available. Sure it would be nice and helpful.

Were you paid up on your ins. to a date in the future? (beyond cancellation date) Did they refund any payment or partial payment which paid you up to a date past the cancellation date?

I'm not sure what the point was of Betty's question but if you had no insurance then that was it. Did you get any traffic tickets in relation to the accident? You could have been charged with some heavy offenses.

Any refund on an insurance policy will often be minimal. That said, insurance companies will ensure the refund is forthcoming quickly.

I wanted to verify if OP got any possible refund (or pro-rated refund) which might have been due to OP. Per OP's answer, doesn't seem anything was due to OP.

Doesn't seem if ins. co. did anything wrong in cancelling policy -OP can check the ins. policy though.

A friend's 20 year old grandson had his ins. cancelled after an accident/lic. suspension & didn't get a refund of any premium. From what I understand, he claimed in court that he, therefore, had coverage at the time of the acc. & won.

Back