Baseless reprimand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty55

My jurisdiction is: Florida

I was called into my manager's office (with supervisor present) and was handed a reprimand stating that I didn't follow procedure. I won't go into the intricate details of the procedures because it would be meaningless to you. I was accused of not following instructions.

They had 4 dates mentioned on the reprimand. The first 2 dates, I am not required to give notification to another department. Written policy indicates that it is not required. The other two dates, I had written proof that I had notified the other department.

I was being accused of not performing procedures that are not in place. I asked them to call in a few of my co-workers and ask them about the procedures and I was told that "it doesn't matter". I answered that it did matter to me because they were writing me up and I felt that I was being picked on.

I was accused of not notifying the other department on all 4 days. After I explained our current policy procedures, my manager ripped off the policy procedure sheet he had copied and stapled to the reprimand and tossed it at me telling me to "read it". So I did. Out loud. I then asked him where it said I was to provide copies on the first 2 dates. He then said that I wasn't required to. I then pointed out that he had just said that I was required to and it was written on the reprimand.

He asked me about the other 2 days and I showed him where I had written proof that I had provided copies (it was on papers in his own hands). He then snatched the reprimand away from me and told me that it would be taken care of and I was excused from the meeting.

My manager said that the manager from the other department had complained about me not providing copies (obviously she doesn't know procedures either). I later found out that the new supervisor had written it up (she's a transplant from HR and we all think she was put there for a reason). Once I started talking in the meeting, she wouldn't look at me until I was walking out. She had her head down looking the other direction. The other supervisor signed it as well (I asked her why she signed something she knew was wrong and she turned red and told her that the new supervisor made her sign it).

What angered me was that they had written up the reprimand, everyone had signed it (to include the division director) and they tossed it at me without any prior discussion with me or without even investigating the accusation. They just took her word for it and went with it.

I have been in the organization for over 30 years and am currently in a Florida retirement program called DROP. I have 3 more years in DROP before I am required to leave. I have strong feelings that due to budget restraints, they might be trying to get me out because I am costing them a lot of money. I am a 53 year old female working in county government.

Nothing you have posted supports a claim of illegal discrimination. It sounds like poor management but poor management is not illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back