Banned from the Waffle House (BooWho?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cturner

Metro Atlanta, Ga. USA

A district manager of Waffle House embarrassed and humiliated me during lunch time, in the public area of the restaurant, in front of all of the patrons & employees present at the time, by accusing my husband & me of using the "N-word" & making "Racial Slurs" in the Waffle House. This discussion lasted at least 15 minutes or more, with everyone watching and listening.

My husband & I are regular patrons of Waffle House & we went to our local Waffle House on 8-10-08 (Sun. evening). We drank diet coke, visited with a couple of regular patrons there, read the newspaper and worked a sudoku puzzle. The following Wed. I went to the same WH for lunch. I had just finished my lunch when a new district manager came and sat down a couple of seats from me.

I was shocked beyond words when she began her conversation with me by saying that she had received complaints about my husband & me making racial slurs & using the "N-word" while in the WH on Sunday evening. She also said she had been told that we had pointed at her & said that she was going to run that restaurant into the ground. She wasn't in the WH on Sunday evening while we there, so my husband nor I could have pointed at her for any reason, to make any kind of remark, especially a derogatory remark. I told her that we did not even know her, so we had no reason to do that, in addition to that, I had never seen her before.

The things we were accused of doing, never happened. When I asked who had made the accusations, she refused tell me, but she did tell me that her employees had made the statements. She said she had written statements ("which all said the very same thing") saying that we had done the things we were being accused of, but she refused to allow me to read or to see them.

The district manager gave me her boss's first name (no last name) & phone number. I called him from my cell phone, there in the WH, but got no answer. I left a voice mail and it took him about 5 days to return my call. He told me that my husband & I are "Banned from that WH" & if we return there we will be told to leave, if we don't leave, the police will be called to remove us from the premises, & "he hopes it won't come to that". He did say, however, that we are welcome to visit any other WH if we wish, but we can't visit this particular one.

I am happy to conform to "our bannishment from the WH", even though it's unjust and not founded on fact, but I object whole heartedly to being humiliated and embarrassed in such a manner by WH management. The district manager should have taken me to her office or somewhere private to make her accusations, she should not have done it in the public area of the restaurant!

My husband has lived in this community all of his life & I have lived here since childhood. We do not judge people by their race or color, nor do we make snide remarks about someone because of their race or color or looks.

Do we have any recourse or can any action be taken against Waffle House and/or the people involved in this incident?

Thanks for your opinion,

Cturner

Last edited:
Sure dont go back. Thats your only recourse. You could contact corporate and complain and they "could" lift ban but I suspect you will be made to feel very unwelcome if allowed back in. Just move on its their lost.

Thanks Jacksgal, for your quick response.

Your answer fell right in line with what I was already thinking, but it's nice to get a professional opinion.
Cturner

Sounds like you and Kid Rock need to stay out of Waffle House lol. Just kidding.

You can complain to corporate. If you honestly did not do anything wrong then you'll have to stop going there.

I wonder why though all these employees would make a statement if you honestly say nothing happened.

All I can think is that someone is irritated there at you and no longer wants you to visit the reatraunt. Bad tipper? Sitting for a table for hours on end? These are just some ideas.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply.
We honestly did nothing wrong and I am sure at least one of the employees was unhappy with us, because we complained about the lack of cleanliness of the restaurant & some of it's employees. Management said the two statements they had said "exactly the same thing", which leads me to believe that the statements were either dictated to them or they were copied & given to them to sign. No matter, I am very happy not going there, & I don't have a problem with that, it was the way management went about embarrassing & humiliating me that I have the problem with. I really think that if I were a manager, I would try to work on improving the restaurant, rather than ban the customers.

If what you say is true ultimately they will lose customers and suffer loses. Or they will be discovered and fired. You best recourse is to eat elsewhere

The same thing has happen to me. On Obama's day Feb. 20 I was watching TV on my cell phone. A Reporter on CBS I think said today was the day of atonement. Well I couldn't believe what he was saying. I changed channels and continued watching the reports from DC. When my friends came in i told them what the reporter had said about this being the day of atonement. Both were surprised by this comment and couldn't believe a reporter would say this. How could it be a day of atonement with millions out of work the economy in the trash can and peoples retirement funds decreased in value from one-third to one-half. Well we left to go out side to smoke, thanks to our Governor. We departed the Waffle House and went our separate ways. That evening I got a call from one of the guys i was with that morning. He told me two of the waitress was upset because i had questioned the day of atonement and to add to it they said i said the n-word. Cooperate policy if an employee or customer uses the n-word they are banned from the restaurant the employee is fired. These two waitress knew this policy and since i disagreed with it being the day of atonement they knew they could really stir up trouble for me by saying i used the n-work. Which is a lie and i have several witnesses to the fact i never said the n-work. I have been slandered, defamed and portrayed in a false light. I have had to explain to me black friends (for the lack of a better term) what went on and what was said, also i have had to talk to some black employees i have know for years about the incident. The waffle house management has published the slander by telling my friend and others about this incident. It seem to me that if you slightly disagree with Obama or say anything about him you will be banned from the waffle house. He wasn't even president at the time i was talking about the reporter saying today was the day of atonement. I thought this was American where people have fought and died for our rights including the right to free speech. By the way one of the two waitresses that complained about me was on the other side of the restaurant and never came within 25 feet of me and my friends as we sat and drank coffee. I intend to sue the waffle house myself. I have talked to the district manager who doesn't believe i said the n-word and i have ask thru the corporate attorney to talk to the division manager but as of today i have not heard from him. Caveat: I do believe that Feb. 20 was inauguration day of the president not a coronation of a king. I can see where this is going saying anything negative about Obama and you will be branded a racist.
By the way I have been a loyal customer of the waffle house for 42 years. Usually spending somewhere near $300.00 a month. I have estimated that i have spent upwards of $50,000.00 at the waffle in that 42 years.
So much for customer loyality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back