Bank foreclosed on the wrong house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chock

I'm trying to figure out if my situation is worth consulting a lawyer so I am looking for suggestions...

Last year I received a foreclosure notice on my summer home, but it was placed there by mistake. It was supposed to be place on my neighbor's house. Their house number is 123, mine is 123A. I called the bank and told them they had the wrong property.

Last month (July 2008) I went back to the summer home to find the foreclosure notice on the house again, but this time the bank had contracted a security company. They let themselves into MY house, went through all of the cupboards, took all of the food, changed all of the locks and basically left the house in a vandalized condition.

As angry and upset as I was to be locked out of my own house and have my property stolen, I called the security company and told them I wanted to resolve this reasonably. I told them I wanted them to reimburse me for the locks, the stolen items, the damage and my inconvenience. I made a VERY reasonable offer, and I would have even been willing to negotiate. I really don't want to have to get the legal system involved, but they are making that very difficult for me.

When I called, I was told I would get a call back from their Claims Department within 24 hours. I called back 10 days later after not hearing anything from them. They told me they would call me two days later to resolve this. That was 5 days ago and I still haven't received any calls from their company. Today I called and told them how incompetent their company is and how embarrassed they should be.

Not only have they screwed up, but they have done NOTHING to try to resolve this, they have treated me terribly, and have put my family though a lot of emotional stress. I would like to just put this behind me, but I'm afraid that if I need to get a lawyer involved, the legal fees I will incur will be much more than I could ever get back from this incompetent company. Am I correct in that assessment, which basically means these people can do whatever they want with no recourse, or is there another suggestion out there?

Sorry I've been so long-winded... Thanks for your patience

The questions that comes to mind are - did you file a police report documenting the break in? Did you take pictures or a movie so you can back up the claims that it was the security company indeed that changed all the locks, stole food, etc...? Then, did you contact the bank that is posting the foreclosure notes on your door to try to find out why they keep posting notices in the wrong unit? By calling their claims department and making what you call a reasonable offer, you didn't do anything but register a complaint. They never admitted guilt to what you are reporting. Go back to square one and do what a reasonable person would do - which is what I stated on the beggining of the reply. Good Luck!

Yes, I filed a police report. They took pictures... I took pictures. Everything is documented. The security company called the police department and asked for a police officer to accompany them as a witness when they wanted to go back and change the locks (again) after I filed the report. The police department contacted me before doing anything. I told them I did not want that company coming anywhere near the house again ... they had already screwed up enough things and they had no reason to be there.

Ok, that is information that was omitted on your first posting. How about the bank being contacted regarding the error on the foreclosure process? The bank should be involved in this since they were the ones that contacted and instructed the security company to proceed with the changes in the house and emptying out of the cabinets. Have you contacted them as well? If not, then I suggest that you lawyer up to have the bank stop the trespassing issue and any other processes in the wrong foreclosure on your house. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back