Other Debt Bail Bond MULTIPLE CO-SIGNER Liability?

Cagarden

California) My handyman (now retired, no cash was immediately available) needed a cosigner AND down payment emergency funds to bail his son out for a felony charge.

Since his son had helped me with garden chores in the past, I agreed to post a deposit of $2,000 toward the $8,000 bail bond cost, as well as cosign together with handyman,

with an agreement signed by son on release that I will make monthly payments for as long as he works 4 hrs/day (26hrs/wk) in my 'gospel garden' startup project (cultivating scriptural plants for religious interest) for 4 months since he had no job nor cash, either.

To date, I already paid off $4,000 (half) of the bail bond price, and the father has not made a payment of even $1. I believe the son made a payment of $73 total, only so far.

When discussing the bail bond balance when the son became busy and missed 4hrs/day garden help for the past couple weeks,, the son told me to expect to pay off the balance even if he can't provide garden help since his dad wont pay as has little income.

So now I'm at the point where I feel I've paid half of the balance as a friend yet the other cosigner - his own dad- nor bailee(?) have paid nothing or next to nothing.

From ongoing communication, it appears the son knows his trial/sentence is near anyway so doesn't care about default, neither does his dad as they both claim to not have any money/income.

My question is if I stop paying now at the half point - expecting the other co-signer if not the bailee to pitch in the other half, and if they don't, and it goes to collection, is there any argument for me to get out of having to pay the FULL bail bond off since I wasn't the only co-signer, and I already paid off half??

Isn't blood somewhat legally thicker than water or at least having of some weight/bearing in above issue?! =/

Never co-sign ANYTHING for ANYONE.
The reason a person requires a co-signer is because the creditor or bondsman views them as a deadbeat or poor risk.

If the creditor or bondsman doesn't trust the deadbeat bum, you shouldn't either.

If the debt isn't paid you're likely to be sued.

It's easier to get money from a piggybank that has pennies than one broken in pieces.

You could sue the future felon, but that'll be useless.
Once he becomes an incarcerated felon, he'll earn about 10¢ an hour.

The pappy of the future felon is best avoided, lest he SCAM you again.

Sorry, you'll have to chalk this one up as a down payment on one of life's easiest learned lesson, always say NO to any question REQUIRING you to cough up cash.

The bondsman can sue you for the entire balance owed.
You can sue the deadbeat or his pappy.
Don't expect any money, which is why the bondsman will come after you.
Co-signer just means you're the sucker who'll get stuck with the entire debt.
Don't be THAT sucker, always say no, unless you enjoy giving away your money.

In a famous phrase said by Polonius in Act-I, Scene-III of William Shakespeare's play, Hamlet; Polonius counsels his son Laertes before he embarks on his visit to Paris.

He says, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend."

My father taught me to say NO to every scam or scheme known to man.

I now teach you, if anyone ever asks you to loan a dollar, say no.

If you wish to GIFT the dollar, that is up to you.

Most people believe in charity.

Most people don't believe in loaning money, unless they enjoy being SCAMMED.

I said pretty much the same thing to the poster on another site.

I also speculated that if the poster quit paying, the little criminal would get picked up and put in jail until his trial.

is there any argument for me to get out of having to pay the FULL bail bond off since I wasn't the only co-signer, and I already paid off half?

No. You apparently signed an agreement to be liable for 100% of the premium (along with any loss incurred by the bonding company and agent as a result of forfeiture). You and the other persons who signed are jointly and severally liable. You may be entitled to contribution, but you are liable for 100% of the premium. It's exactly what you signed up for.

I said pretty much the same thing to the poster on another site.

I also speculated that if the poster quit paying, the little criminal would get picked up and put in jail until his trial.

I don't understand how people get ensnared in these obvious traps.

I do understand, I guess the people I know would never get caught up in these messy scams.

The worst part of being a co-signer is you wear all of the risk without deriving any of the reward.

Awesome replies, thanks guys! Here and on the other site too! ;)

It's music to my ears to hear 'On the other hand, if you stop paying, the bail bondsman can also have the boy picked up and put in jail until his trial.'

That alone was what I was banking on. as the handyman and his son did good work on and off here and there for the past 5 years (which they were paid for already, though) so i figured I'd show some gratitude, take a chance, and see if the delinquent son would learn anything from gospel gardening as for me yes it was totally a gamble on good faith!

I don't mind paying off the balance but with your added input it makes cents/sense to hold off on paying to see if son - on his own free will - in observed absence of his father/cosigner's own financial obligations, choses to do some gardening, or to go straight back to jail.

Pricy lesson learned indeed. I still have faith the kid will make up his hours gardening for a greener earth, but yea.. thats up to them and thanks for clarifying that indeed I will be stuck with the bill lest I sue, if I have it correct, either or both of them?

I'm not one to sue, but am just wondering just in case I do change my mind and seek compensation for the other cosigner not coughing up even $1.

'm not one to sue, but am just wondering just in case I do change my mind and seek compensation for the other cosigner not coughing up even $1.

Yes, you can sue pappy and his lil future felon for whatever funds you expend to eliminate the debt.

However, if the future felon is sentenced to prison or jail, he'll be unable to pay for months, if not years.

That leave pappy as the obvious choice.

Problem is, as you describe both of these scalawags, they're life long ne'er do wells and layabouts!

I don't mind paying off the balance but with your added input it makes cents/sense to hold off on paying to see if son - on his own free will - in observed absence of his father/cosigner's own financial obligations, choses to do some gardening, or to go straight back to jail.

You might contact the prosecutor's office and ask to speak to the prosecutor handling the future felon's charge(s).

You tell the prosecutor of your Good Samaritan act and the lad's promise to make you whole (along with his pappy's promise to help the kid repay you), and ask if repaying you could be part of the lad's sentencing, assuming he is convicted.

It is worth a shot.

Back