Bad Santa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizzer

Hello. I was recently fired from Walmart on the 15th of December for refusing to be Santa. I am atheist and do not celebrate Christmas. When I came to work on that day I was asked twice to be Santa. The first time I told my manager that I couldn't because I am atheist and don't celebrate Christmas and that I was also afraid of getting the H1N1 virus from one of the kids, because the guy who was usually Santa had called in sick with it. she threatened to fire me and stormed off. I was then asked a second time and once again refused. Later that day before I was about to go home I was called into the office and then terminated without reason. I'll be blunt I want to sue walmart or my lost wages. Do I have a case?

First of all, Santa has nothing to do with God. You refused a direct instruction that was not inherently unsafe; many people are afraid of getting sick. You may or may not get UI benefits. You have nothing to sue for.

Last edited:
Nope... Santa is not part of the nativity scene, and I don't believe the baby Jesus said ho-ho-ho at birth...
I agree... no action against Wally, but you can probably get some unemployment money to get you by for a short time until you find new employment. I doubt Wal-Mart was paying you much, so don't expect UI to be much.

I have to agree with Pat and Moose, you can't use being an atheist for getting out of playing Santa (a mythical man who rides a sleigh pulled by 8 tiny reindeer). Dealing with the public you run into a risk of disease. H1N1 is no different than any other. From the sound of your post you were probably contentious in other areas too. So who knows what the actual reason for your firing was.

I suspect it had a lot to do with his demeanor at the time.

I once had to be the Easter Bunny out at Pebble Beach :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back