Bad Ethics Or Illegal Practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegbell3

I enterviewed for a job in Texas on three occasions. Each time, I was interviewed by different people. The first, one of the three owners of the corporation. The second, by two women from Human Resources from the main office in Pennsylvania. The third, by a second owner of the corporation.
Two weeks following the third interview, I was called to come back into the office. There, a conference call was made to a woman in the home office in Pennsylvania with the first owner and myself. I was told background checks had been completed, I was the most qualified candidate for the position and I was offered the job; salary and benefit negotiations were completed. The first owner even went so far as to give me a tour around the office and facility and showed me where new offices would be constructed, including one for myself and he mentioned that construction on them would be started immediately - hopefully completed within the next two months.
I advised him then that I was obligated to attend a job fair which I had signed up for (I had NEVER quit looking for employment and had been on several interviews) and that I would give a "yes or no" answer by that afternoon.
As I left the office, and headed to the job fair, I called my unemployment counselor, discussed the situation with her, advised her that I wanted this job, and she told me that it was not a problem to forego the job fair.
That afternoon, as promised, I called the office, accepted the position, and was told to start one week from the following Monday. I stopped my job search altogether. My plan was NOT to continue requesting my unemployment benefits on the next scheduled request date.
On the Friday before the Monday starting day, I received a call from the woman in Pennsylvania telling me NOT to come in on the following Monday as they "weren't quite ready for (me) yet". I inquired about what the problem was but she was quite curt and told me the first owner would be in touch with me when he returned from a trip to Belize. And that was it.
It has been three weeks and I've heard nothing from anyone with this company. I have not called them for a couple of reasons - first, it is obvious that things are not moving forward since no construction has begun on the new offices so far. I've heard rumors around town that there are problems there. Second, I don't want to call and sound desperate. I am of strong faith and believe that God has a plan for each and all and if this job were meant for me, I would be working there now.
I have restarted seeking out other employment, but I gave up definite opportunities to accept two other jobs and I gave up a job fair for a promising opportunity to work at a local university. Further, I had to really hustle to get back to job searching to prevent losing my unemployment benefits as I continue my job search. Not to mention my allowing to pass up the many jobs without even applying for them over the first two weeks that I waited to hear back from the company. These jobs have now expired on application acceptance dates.
Is this situation just a bad labor ethics matter or is there some law prohibiting a verbal contracted job offer that does not pan out and/or is (non) handled the way this one was?

Last edited:
Not illegal. Maybe and maybe not bad ethics; it depends on the reason for the delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back