Other Debt bad checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two possibilities here.

The first is 3 years

The second is 6 years

The amount will generally determine which is appropriate.

I wrote some bad checks back in 2010 is their any chance of me going to jail for them Now

The SOL for writing a bad check depends on several things.

I shortened the definition to try and keep it simple.

If one wrote a small amount bad check it is a misdemeanor of the first degree, and the statute of limitations would be two years.

If the check was issued to one person or entity for $1,000 or more but less than $7,500, it would be classified a felony of the fifth degree, with a six year statute of limitations.

If the check was written for $7,501 or more but less than $150,000, it becomes a felony of the fourth degree, with a six year statute of limitations.

If the check was written for more than $150,000, it becomes a felony of the third degree, with a six year statute of limitations.

If this is a debt collector calling you, ignore him.

If it is a bona fide law enforcement agency (highly unusual), make sure you clearly identify the person.

Whoever it is, don't discuss the case, admit to anything, simply say: I MUST SPEAK WITH MY LAWYER.

Then, say nothing more.

Here is a link to the Ohio statute re bad checks that you might want to read for educational/informational purposes only. (not giving legal advice)

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2913.11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back