Bad checks and International Travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbenny

Hey everybody
I'm a major in philosophy but I certainly would like to carry on and study law. I have one question that I could not find the answer to... so far.
I am really interested in finding the answer to this:

- Edward issues a lot of bad checks for different purposes
- Edward purchases a flight ticket with cash
- Edward tries to travel out of the border

Now here is the question, is there any security measurements that could stop Edward from international traveling before this matter goes to court and issue a warrant?

Hey everybody
I'm a major in philosophy but I certainly would like to carry on and study law. I have one question that I could not find the answer to... so far.
I am really interested in finding the answer to this:

- Edward issues a lot of bad checks for different purposes
- Edward purchases a flight ticket with cash
- Edward tries to travel out of the border

Now here is the question, is there any security measurements that could stop Edward from international traveling before this matter goes to court and issue a warrant?

It isn't publicly known EXACTLY what the border control authorities search for these days, other than a valid passport (applicable visa) and if one is named on the do not fly list. Some say felony warrant checks are done regularly, some say felony warrant checks are done sporadically, some say warrant checks are done if other indicators appear.

If the subject of your hypothetical was wanted for a few NSF checks, its highly unlikely the border control authorities would care, or even inquire.

That said, no one knows for sure what criteria the border control authorities actually use.

Does that mean that the bounced check(s) simply can not restrict anyone's international travels? And in order to do so, the merchant needs to press charges?

That is NOT what I said.
Expounding on one hundred NSF charges, absent any criminal proceeding, would make that a civil matter.
Very few civil matters are of any concern to the border agents.

I said that no one knows for sure what the border control authorities look for when checking departing international bound passengers from the US.
Most people believe the border authorities aren't concerned with any NSF matters or warrants.
The TSA and other agencies keep many things very hush hush.

We do know they look for certain offenses, and there is the "infamous DO NOT fly list".
It is thought (by those with some inside knowledge) that minor matters, parking tickets, traffic citations, disorderly conduct warrants, etc.. are of no concern to the border agents.

One might also say that would include the garden variety NSF scofflaw, but the "white collar" corporate embezzler wanted for allegedly absconding with $15,000,000 might not be so lucky.

If I wanted to travel internationally and had several NSF warrants, I wouldn't worry about being denied such travel for the unpaid checks.
Contrapositively, if the NSF items worried me, I'd pay them before trying to leave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back