Bad check restitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBARNOLD

I have several bad checks out, over the past five years, from my business ventures which have failed. I wish to initiate a program of repayment. Checks are in different counties. There was absolutely no criminal intent on my part. Poor financial management. I will soon be employed again, no longer seeking to be in business. If there is criminal prosecution, and subsequent jail time, restitution will be very difficult and take longer. I have found on the i-net that several states have restitution and criminal prosecution diversion programs. I am interested in this, and seek an attorney in this matter. Attorney must be able to and or willing to pursue this matter in all counties involved, or at least liason with a local attorney. Total outstanding amount is around $12,000., not including court costs, fines, etc. I feel as though I can have all of this paid within two-three years, including attorney fees. Some checks are felony amounts. I will be employed in the marine industry,(inland and offshore for extended and varied periods of time) and will not be able to be on any type of probation where my appearance will be needed at specified dates. Does anyone have any advice or input in this matter. It is my desire to pay for all of these checks, as well as other debts, and to be debt free once again, while avoiding any criminal prosecution. I wish to continue my career in the maritme industry, in the future aboard ship as a merchant marine. Since this is considered in part to be federal service, any felony charges may exclude me from pursuing my career, and once again be a responsible member of society. Once again, there was never any criminal intent, just poor judgement and fiscal responsibility.

JB - I think that you really have to consider the attorney's time and efforts. What person would perform any service where the time involved will be far more than the amount paid? If you're talking about $12K, I would guess that you don't want to pay more than a fraction of that to the attorney to handle. If it involves many hours of work, would an attorney handle it? You can always request a consultation (maybe from here) as to how much time it would take. You can always make an agreement with the other parties yourself and have an attorney look over the agreement. You just do the leg work. Make sense?

JBARNOLD said:
I have several bad checks out, over the past five years, from my business ventures which have failed. I wish to initiate a program of repayment. Checks are in different counties. There was absolutely no criminal intent on my part. Poor financial management. I will soon be employed again, no longer seeking to be in business. If there is criminal prosecution, and subsequent jail time, restitution will be very difficult and take longer. I have found on the i-net that several states have restitution and criminal prosecution diversion programs. I am interested in this, and seek an attorney in this matter. Attorney must be able to and or willing to pursue this matter in all counties involved, or at least liason with a local attorney. Total outstanding amount is around $12,000., not including court costs, fines, etc. I feel as though I can have all of this paid within two-three years, including attorney fees. Some checks are felony amounts. I will be employed in the marine industry,(inland and offshore for extended and varied periods of time) and will not be able to be on any type of probation where my appearance will be needed at specified dates. Does anyone have any advice or input in this matter. It is my desire to pay for all of these checks, as well as other debts, and to be debt free once again, while avoiding any criminal prosecution. I wish to continue my career in the maritme industry, in the future aboard ship as a merchant marine. Since this is considered in part to be federal service, any felony charges may exclude me from pursuing my career, and once again be a responsible member of society. Once again, there was never any criminal intent, just poor judgement and fiscal responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back