Backyard Tennis Training Liability

PR660

Jurisdiction
California
I have an associate who has a residence/home with a backyard tennis court that is not being used. I am a longtime, private tennis coach, who was injured in an auto accident in 2017 and have since become semi-retired.

I was recently invited to train a few of my students on the court one afternoon per week (4 students).

My associate (the homeowner) later spoke to her insurance agent and was told that she would not be covered for liability on the tennis court for anyone other than family members and her guests.

FYI- From 2005 - until my relocation in 2016, I had access to and trained on 4 backyard locations - no questions asked. I did, however, for my own sake, garner a signed liability waiver from each participant.

Could someone please give me some details and perhaps an alternate means of gaining liability coverage in this scenario?

Thanks very much for your attention and time.

I have an associate who has a residence/home with a backyard tennis court that is not being used. I am a longtime, private tennis coach, who was injured in an auto accident in 2017 and have since become semi-retired.

I was recently invited to train a few of my students on the court one afternoon per week (4 students).

My associate (the homeowner) later spoke to her insurance agent and was told that she would not be covered for liability on the tennis court for anyone other than family members and her guests.

FYI- From 2005 - until my relocation in 2016, I had access to and trained on 4 backyard locations - no questions asked. I did, however, for my own sake, garner a signed liability waiver from each participant.

Could someone please give me some details and perhaps an alternate means of gaining liability coverage in this scenario?

Thanks very much for your attention and time.

I would suggest calling your insurance agent.

Are you suggesting I procure a policy for the two hours per week I spend on that tennis court?

Yes. If you are not covered by insurance and a student is injured while training with you you might find yourself sued for the resulting damages. Just defending the lawsuit is expensive, and obviously more so if you lose the lawsuit.

Are you suggesting I procure a policy for the two hours per week I spend on that tennis court?

That would be one interpretation.

However, only an authorized representative of a specific insurance company would be able to speak what coverage (if any) a specific insurance company MIGHT offer.

I would suggest calling your insurance agent.

My colleague, said it another way.

All I could add is that you might have to speak to SEVERAL insurance companies to know if what you require is even on offer.

That's true.

FYI- From 2005 - until my relocation in 2016, I had access to and trained on 4 backyard locations - no questions asked.

Because those property owners, like much of the insurance buying public, were clueless.

I did, however, for my own sake, garner a signed liability waiver from each participant.

Good idea. But you still need the liability insurance. Juries can be willing to invalidate those waivers for a sympathetic disabled plaintiff. I've seen it.

An independent agent is likely to have access to insurance companies that write professional liability insurance for you. There may also be insurance available online.

liability insurance for tennis instructors at DuckDuckGo

Yes, even if you do it for 10 minutes once a year, you buy the insurance or you don't teach. The speed of a tennis ball serve is between 75mph and 120mph. An errant serve can cause brain or spinal damage in a matter of seconds.

Juries can be willing to invalidate those waivers for a sympathetic disabled plaintiff. I've seen it.

It is true that not all waivers provide the kind of shield the business hopes it will. However, generally it is the judge who reviews the waiver in the first instance, not the jury.

Invited by whom?

The phrasing of this question is a bit odd, but the only way I know of to "gain[] liability coverage" is to buy it from an insurance company. Liability waivers are all well and good, but someone can still sue and argue that the waiver isn't enforceable. Liability coverage will provide for the hiring of an attorney (on the insurer's dime) to defend you. Based on the experiences of a relative who teaches yoga, you can probably get a policy for just a few hundred dollars per year.

Well...you're the one who asked the question about "gaining liability coverage." Your options are to: (1) obtain coverage; (2) don't give lessons; or (3) give lessons without coverage and take your chances (assuming the property owner would allow that).

Back