Background check fee

Jbaquero

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hello,

I'm being charged a $200 fee to run a background check to my boyfriend who just moved in.
Is it true that as per the Florida statutes, associations can charge up to $100 for that?
I already paid $200 for my screening, can I request a refund?

Thanks for your help

I found this article:

South Florida condo boards rip off consumers with high application fees

There is a part that says: Consumers should inform condo associations that they are breaking the law. If they've already paid, they may be entitled to a refund. Section 718.112(2)(i) of the Florida Statutes prohibits condos from charging more than $100 in transfer fees per person or married couple. That includes application fees, credit checks, background screenings, move-in fees, pet registration and other charges related to the sale or lease of a condo unit.

I found this article:

South Florida condo boards rip off consumers with high application fees

There is a part that says: Consumers should inform condo associations that they are breaking the law. If they've already paid, they may be entitled to a refund. Section 718.112(2)(i) of the Florida Statutes prohibits condos from charging more than $100 in transfer fees per person or married couple. That includes application fees, credit checks, background screenings, move-in fees, pet registration and other charges related to the sale or lease of a condo unit.

Why should you care?

Have your friend pay the $200.

If he won't or can't, that might be one of the best things that can ever happen to you.

Why?

How?

That, mate, is one of the identifiers that test positive for DEADBEAT, LEECH, MOOCH, SCAMMER, LOUT, LAY ABOUT, NE'ER DO WELL, etc...

I don't ask questions because the print is pretty, I ask them because they are important to the discussion.

I'll ask again.

Do you own or rent?

Thank you.

Now, read your condo documents and find where (and if) it obligates you or your BF to pay for any background check to have somebody stay with you in property that you own.

Back