Back Child Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

morsee

I will try not not be as vague as possible, but am unlear on the details, as I am inquiring for my bother-in-law.

The situation is as follows: 9 years ago, he had sexual relations with a woman, who happened to be engaged to another man. He was not aware that she became pregnant, and they went their separate ways. The woman has since married, and has been raising the child for 9 years.

Recently, she, still married, has come back into my brother-in-law's life, mentioning that he is actually the father of her daughter (in subtle ways). She is not actively persuing him, nor in any kind of contact with him legally or socially. Despite this, he is intrested in pursuing such a relationship with the daughter.

In which case, I would assume he would have to establish he is the paternal father of such a child to have rights of visitation. He has been informed that if he were to pursue a relationship with this child (and hence, probably have to prove paternity to have rights), then he would have to pay 9 years of back child support.

Would he have to pay this 9 years of back child support for those years he was unaware of his paternity if he were to pursue legal visitation rights at this point? I am not sure if he can afford this, nor if he would think it would merit such action, and that is why he has ceased further action. Im only glad I am not in such a predictament.

Due to experience I endured with my Ex Husband, I learned that you can always be hit with child support rearage. But, when we worked with an aggressive attorney he informed us that if can be avoided with a few easy provable circumstances, such as:
could the mother find him?
can she prove the attempt?

I am in Florida about 5 years ago I believe it was passed that the custodial parent can only go back 2 years from the time she filed a paternity suit. Hope this helps. I am not an attorney but this information was based on my personal experience. Usually online you can find your state's statutes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back