Back Alimony Payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

newstart2

My ex has paid only a small portion of what he owes in alimony payments over the past 2 years since our divorce. He' s suppose to pay me (monthly) for 5 years or until I remarry. I will be getting re-married in March. What recourse do I have in collecting what he owes? Is he still legally bound to pay the back payments? The divorce was filed in Utah. He lives in California and I now live in Arizona. Can anyone tell me who I need to contact to initiate proceedings to possibly collect the current amount he owes me? Thanks. Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Q: What recourse do I have in collecting what he owes?

A: Get a lawyer and sue him for being in contempt of the judgment in the lawsuit.

If he is not making alimony payments you would have to file contempt in the court that the divorce was out of. I have no idea if your remarriage would affect any future alimony, it depends what the decree says.

Attorney Fees

Thank you for your input. As I have no money to hire an attorney, would it be possible to make the ex responsible for any attorney fees? Also, is it possible to hire an attorney in Arizona even though the divorce was filed in Utah and he's in California? Another question. Would it be possible for me, to file a judgement, myself (in Utah)? (I filed for divorce without an attorney, but the ex was in agreement with the terms, so there was no problem). Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back