Naturalization, Citizenship Baby just born. Wrong decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

landthatilove

My daughter, a permanent resident from Canada, and her partner whom she lives (not married) with and is a U.S. citizen just had a baby yesterday. She is going to submit the baby's name with "his" last name only. She would like the child to have dual citizenship.
My questions are: I am concerned of complications because she is not giving the baby her name/also. Do I have reason for concern?
The baby is automatically a U.S. Citizen because he was born in the States. Does my daughter's status of being a Canadian citizen (but permanent US resident) benefit this baby in any way? re: dual citizenship etc.

My main problem is that this baby will not have any part of my daughter's name.
Thank you for your time.

The baby's name means nothing in regards to its nationality or citizenship.

An unmarried mother has all parental rights vested in her upon the baby's birth.

The alleged unwed father of said baby has no legal rights, even if he stupidly signed the birth certificate without a paternity test.

The issues of child custody, chid visitation, and child support should be litigated in a family court as soon as practicable.

They always rear their ugly heads.

If it was born in the USA, the US birth certificate will indicate it's US citizenship.

If the mother desires the baby to obtain Canadian citizenship, I suggest she consult with the nearest Canadian consulate or the Canadian Embassy in Washington, DC.

There are certain legal formalities that must be pursued to secure the Canadian citizenship you discussed.

As it happens, I know a little something about this, being a dual citizen (US and Canada) myself.

The name is immaterial to citizenship. I was born in Canada to a US citizen mother and Canadian citizen father. I have (or had until my marriage) my father's name. Both countries have recognized me as a citizen despite my not having my mother's name as well.

While she should confirm this with the Canadian consulate in case the rules have changed, it is my understanding that since the baby was born to a Canadian citizen, Canada will recognize the baby as a Canadian as well.

It is very important to understand that Canada recognizes dual citizenship. The US reluctantly acknowledges that other nations recognize dual citizenship. She (and the baby as he or she grows up) needs to recognize when to mention dual citizenship and when not to. The Canadian consulate said to me, in more or less so many words, 'If a US government official asks you if you are a US citizen, say yes and do not elaborate. We will continue to recognize you as a Canadian citizen until or unless you sign something that says you're not'. So this is not something she wants to make a lot of noise about. Have her make a call to the consulate (doesn't have to be the Embassy in Washington - the consulate in the nearest large city will do) and then let things be.

The parents need to establish custody/visitation/child support - and this is where it gets tricky.
Once the parent files in the US, jurisdiction becomes an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back