AZ Private Party Emissions Recourse?

MatthewG20350

I bought a car from a private seller (who works at a body shop), and when I tried to get the car (2000 Honda Accord), I found out there was an issue with the wiring and transmission. It would cost at least another 500 dollars to fix the wiring and another x amount to fix the transmission. Do I have the right to "cancel the sale", and is he legally required to refund me my money, or pay for it to be repaired? I'm assuming since he's a mechanic, and worked on the car some by himself, he was aware it couldn't pass emissions. Thanks!

I bought a car from a private seller (who works at a body shop), and when I tried to get the car (2000 Honda Accord), I found out there was an issue with the wiring and transmission. It would cost at least another 500 dollars to fix the wiring and another x amount to fix the transmission. Do I have the right to "cancel the sale", and is he legally required to refund me my money, or pay for it to be repaired? I'm assuming since he's a mechanic, and worked on the car some by himself, he was aware it couldn't pass emissions. Thanks!

You never rely on the other party's representations (unless they are in writing) in any private sale auto transaction.
You bought the car from a private seller, not an auto dealer.
You are responsible for making sure the car is as you believe it it to be, BEFORE you purchase the car.
Sorry, you're stuck with whatever you purchased.

Even if the car can't pass emissions testing? Also, if there is any information you could give about lemon laws, and what they are, that would be appreciated.

Even if the car can't pass emissions testing? Also, if there is any information you could give about lemon laws, and what they are, that would be appreciated.

Yes, even if, a car sold in private person to private person sale is without warranty, and sold as is.
Lemon laws apply to NEW car sales, not USED car sales.

Sorry but this is a case of caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).

Back