AZ legal Guardian.. Do i have any rights or options

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazycactuslady

We have had our Nephew living with us for the last 8 months. He never met his father, and my sister sent him here because her boyfriend (Alcoholic) was beating her up, she is a drug addict. She gave me a notarized note that said I could make school and medical decisions, but she was not giving up her rights. Though nothing has changed, except she has moved to a trailer in a remote area with no family support near by, she now says she will come get him at the end of the school year in May. I believe she want's welfare and needs him for that, but thats neither here nor there. Do I have any rights, is there any options for us. I want my sister to get her son, but only when he will be in a safe environment. Where should we start? She is in Oregon we are in Arizona. Thanks for any advice.

You don't have any rights, I'm afraid.

Mom can come and get him. The only possible way you'd get a shot at custody would be if you could prove her unfit. That is actually incredibly difficult to do. It's not about best interests at this point - best interest would come into play if it was parent vs. parent and both parents stand equal before the court. This is parent vs. third party, and the third party does not stand equal to Mom in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back