Awarded Settlement - Business Changed Hands - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

torii

On April 1st I was awarded a $3,000 judgement due to a faulty installation job done by a sound shop in my truck (the faulty job led to massive amounts of damage). I was supposed to be paid by the 21st of April, it's now May 27th.
HERES THE KICKER~

I drove past the business yesterday and saw a huge banner - "Under New Ownership". I then called the "new owner" and tried to inform him of the situation and see what he thought. I had hoped since he was a new owner he would want to avoid me going to the BBB and such by paying me off....

Instead of wanting to help me, he screamed at me, called me every name in the book then hung up on me, before I could say anything besides who I was.

MY QUESTION IS THIS~

I guess what I want to know is, *can I collect my judgement through the new owner*? It is still the SAME business - same name, same location, same everything - except for a supposed "new owner". According to the new owner that screamed at me, I am unable to do a single thing because he didn't mess up my truck and he said he'll make my life miserable if I try. But what I'm getting at is that my lawsuit was NOT against the old owner, it was against THE BUSINESS. So I would think that it doesn't matter who owns it, I still am entitled to the monies I am rightfully owed. Maybe I am wrong. But I do know that if a business owes a supplier $10,000 and the business is sold to a new owner, then that new owner would inherit that debt. Same with taxes. If biz owners could get out of back taxes by selling the business, people would never pay taxes in the first place. They'd just transfer ownership every year. So if anyone could please help me out and give me real advice that they know is accurate, it would really do so much for me.

HERES MORE INFO:

* What I have come to find out is that *supposedly* the building which this sound shop operates out of is leased through a 3rd party - not the current owner and not the pervious owner. So I don't think I am able to place a lean on the building or possibly be unable to "sieze property"

* Monies were won in Westland, MI

Once again, thanks soooo mucc in advance! It means so much to me. The last month has been so frustrating!

Sincerely,
Torii

If someone bought the new business and it is using the same name, then the new owner has a problem. You should probably report them to the BBB and perhaps even call up your state attorney general as well.

You may want to go to small claims court and ask them for an information subpoena and restraining order and perhaps you can send these to local banks in the area where you think the business may perform it's banking. If you hit the right one properly then I'm sure you'll be receiving a call from someone. :D What surprises me is that the business is the same and that the scammers haven't created a new corporation and "sold the assets" of the old. Have you tried also suing the prior owner personally? You may want to file against him as well since, technically, he is a different "entity" than the business.

Good luck to you and let us know what happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back