Consumer Law, Warranties Automatic Renewal Verbal/Written Discrepancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonconde

I signed up for a 1 yr gym membership with Anytime Fitness. Upon being sold the contract the Salesperson told me that the Automatic Renewal meant that after the year If I used my Anytime Fitness membership again my contract would then be renewed to a month to month membership. A representative for the Financial company that the gym uses made me understand it the same way months later when I called asking about cancellation procedures. Now they've charged me for another month over my year contract and say that I'm still liable because Automatic renewal actually means that the contract just keeps going until I stop it but I'm going to be liable for payments 30 days after I cancel which means I'll have to pay another months fee if I cancel it today. I'm a broke college student cut of from my parents with no job cause I'm on scholarship and my schedule is hectic as it is. I'm not looking for a suit but is there any legal action I can threaten them with like fraud or misrepresentation to get the payment refunded?

Last edited:
I signed up for a 1 yr gym membership with Anytime Fitness. Upon being sold the contract the Salesperson told me that the Automatic Renewal meant that after the year If I used my Anytime Fitness membership again my contract would then be renewed to a month to month membership. A representative for the Financial company that the gym uses made me understand it the same way months later when I called asking about cancellation procedures. Now they've charged me for another month over my year contract and say that I'm still liable because Automatic renewal actually means that the contract just keeps going until I stop it but I'm going to be liable for payments 30 days after I cancel which means I'll have to pay another months fee if I cancel it today. I'm a broke college student cut of from my parents with no job cause I'm on scholarship and my schedule it hectic as it is. I'm not looking for a suit but is there any legal action I can threaten them with like fraud or misrepresentation to get the payment refunded?

Sorry, it isn't about what anyone promised you.
It is about what the contract says.
You're bound by the words on the contract.
Your best bet is to cancel today!
The sooner you cancel, the sooner you can end this financial nightmare!

You may be able to argue that you instructed them to cancel months ago when you called about cancellation procedures. Keep at it... you might get somewhere.

Alright well I'll send a cancellation, but I'm still going to fight it if I can. I can prove they promised me that at least one out of the two times and doesn't that make it some sort of legally binding verbal contract??

Ya it was on a credit card. Thanks. If there is anything else I can do let me know please. Thanks again for helping guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back