autobody work

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstgreg1

I am a qualified auto body technician with certificates and college degree. Also have 4 years experience in the field. A year ago, answering a Craigslist labor gig, a woman wanted some bodywork done to repair some minor damage including some spot / panel paint blending over the repaired areas. Compensation was worked out in a part cash part trade for some tools. The total value of trade plus cash was about 350.00. This was about a 3 rd of a body shop quote. I procede with repairs, and I received trade part of the deal. Materials were also supposed to be supplied by her. I paid for the supplies in hopes for reimbursement as agreed. Work was done in her garage. All was good but the clear coat was more orange peel than factory. So I wet sanded it and applied more clear. This time there was some kind of contamination in the clear coat. Easily remedied however, she wanted to take a break from it and would call me at a later date to fix.
Several months later, she is now wanting to take it to a shop for completion and has refused my offer to finish the job. Its her property and she has that right. But she also is demanding that I pay for it. I just don't think that I should being that I was not even finished with it and for the labor and cash out of my pocket for the materials, I wont be reimbursed for. Am I wrong in the analogy that; all one needs to do for a free paint job is hire someone to do the work, make them stop and claim its botched, then take it to a shop and make the person who "botched" pay for a complete paint job? Not sure how to handle this.

Only a court can order you to pay. Even if that we're to happen, the court won't force you to pay her. She'd receive a judgment. Think of the judgment being akin to an IOU, except the court said UO-SHE. LOL

I'd ignore her THREATS. Face it, very few reputable people frequent KILLERSLIST, except to laugh at the ads.

If she had anything, was about anything, she wouldn't be trolling KILLERSLIST, looking for suckers!

If she sues, you defend. It'll be her word against yours. Maybe you remember a DIFFERENT arrangement for $300, like just sand it out, don't finish it.

You're too qualified to SELL your skills and talent to cheapskates. I'm a lawyer and volunteer my free time here trying to help others. Maybe you could volunteer to help non-profit groups repair their vehicles, churches, charities, homeless shelters, senior citizens, or financially challenged single dads and moms.

I wouldn't let a cheap KILLERSLIST troll use me ever again.

She is totally within her rights to demand that you pay for the repairs.
You are totally within your rights to tell her to take a hike.
Ignore her and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back