Consumer Fraud Auto

Airbus Tony

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I made an appt for an oil change and 15 point auto inspection at a Honda dealership in Gilbert, Az today. I showed up at 3.40pm and waited 2 hrs and the serviceman finally came and got me and said my car was finished and he apologized for the lengthy wait. I had a low tire pressure light on when i arrived and he said they would take care of that also. When he came and got me he said that they had aired up the tires but the light was still on. Right then i got suspicious as i could see my left front tire looked noticeably low. To my surprise, he said that my oil change would be at no charge because it was the end of the month! Now i really got suspicious as dealers don't do anything for free. I thanked him and after I left for home I started wondering if they actually did change my oil! I figured no way would they have actually done that to me after driving 15 miles each way and sitting there for 2 hours waiting. Add soon as i got home I lifted the hood and checked the oil color. It had been 10,000 miles since my last oil change with synthetic oil as recommended. I couldn't believe what i saw! The oil was obviously very old and has a darkish tint to it. I wiped the oil on a white rag and then got some brand new oil from a new quart and put some of it next to the old oil on the rag. It's like brown and clear oil right next to each other. I labeled them and took a picture. It is blatantly obvious that they had the nerve to not change my oil and they even RESET my maintenance notice in the car back to 100% oil life. To add more credence to my findings, I am an aircraft mechanic for American Airlines, 30 years, and I can certainly tell when my oil hasn't been changed! I usually do it myself but it's 108 degrees in Phoenix today so I decided to have the dealership do it thinking I trusted them to do a simple oil change! Do I have any recourse?? Also, they did not do the multi point inspection either and gave me no paperwork. Im going to go back and ask for a receipt on Monday. So much time wasted on my day off this week and I have been taken!!

I made an appt for an oil change and 15 point auto inspection at a Honda dealership in Gilbert, Az today. I showed up at 3.40pm and waited 2 hrs and the serviceman finally came and got me and said my car was finished and he apologized for the lengthy wait. I had a low tire pressure light on when i arrived and he said they would take care of that also. When he came and got me he said that they had aired up the tires but the light was still on. Right then i got suspicious as i could see my left front tire looked noticeably low. To my surprise, he said that my oil change would be at no charge because it was the end of the month! Now i really got suspicious as dealers don't do anything for free. I thanked him and after I left for home I started wondering if they actually did change my oil! I figured no way would they have actually done that to me after driving 15 miles each way and sitting there for 2 hours waiting. Add soon as i got home I lifted the hood and checked the oil color. It had been 10,000 miles since my last oil change with synthetic oil as recommended. I couldn't believe what i saw! The oil was obviously very old and has a darkish tint to it. I wiped the oil on a white rag and then got some brand new oil from a new quart and put some of it next to the old oil on the rag. It's like brown and clear oil right next to each other. I labeled them and took a picture. It is blatantly obvious that they had the nerve to not change my oil and they even RESET my maintenance notice in the car back to 100% oil life. To add more credence to my findings, I am an aircraft mechanic for American Airlines, 30 years, and I can certainly tell when my oil hasn't been changed! I usually do it myself but it's 108 degrees in Phoenix today so I decided to have the dealership do it thinking I trusted them to do a simple oil change! Do I have any recourse?? Also, they did not do the multi point inspection either and gave me no paperwork. Im going to go back and ask for a receipt on Monday. So much time wasted on my day off this week and I have been taken!!
Well...that is an unfortunate event! Did you have a question for us?

You could speak with the dealership's General Manager and see if they're willing to compensate you because you were mistreated as a customer.

If I were in your shoes I'd never do business with that dealership.

I'd find a business that values their customers and avoid those rascals as if they had the plague.

I suspect the dealership manager would go out of his way to make things right. No dealership would want that kind of story getting out about their service. Direct your complaint to the right place and it will be heard.

I agree, dealership manager first. But if you don't get any satisfaction there I'd put a scathing review on Yelp and send a copy to the dealership owner, whose name you can find on the AZ Corporation Commission site.

Back