Auto theft insurance question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapril68

My car was stolen in January and I've been fighting with my insurance for 3 mos now. They recently called me and told me they are finally going to pay the claim. The entire car will be covered but there was an additional bill from the city of Fed Way, WA in which they were charging me over $2000.00 for the damages that were done to some trees that the car had hit. The police officers at the scene did not put the car down as stolen and the insurance did a lengthy investigation but came to the conclusion the car was in fact stolen and so they paid. My problem is the insurance is refusing the pay the damages to the trees because they said since the car was in fact stolen that they nor I are legally responsible for that bill. My question is, is the insurance just trying to get out of paying that part of the claim or is the agent speaking the truth. The agent told me that I need to get in touch with the City of Fed Way and basically deal with them on it and that they are not going to pay it. So am I legally responsible for this bill even though someone stole the car and did the damages. The person that stole the car was never caught? Please advise. I need to call the City of Fed Way back but would like to know my rights before I call them. Appreciate any feedback that might help!

The insurance company is not going to pay. They insure you, not the thief. Your insurance company should have made you fill out a bunch of paper work such as an affidavit of theft ect, and file a police report. All of that should have been done to prove to the property owner and the court that you are not at fault, therefore not responsable to pay for the damages.
-
call the city, provide them with your insurance company's contact info, advise them that its not your responsability to pay for the damages. Check your policy and see if they provide representation to protect you, usually they do. Ask you adjuster to provide you with copies of anything he has that he thinks would help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I did fill out an affidavit of theft so that part is covered. There is no police report on file for the theft because the police officers would not report it as a theft even though I called it in explaining what happened. Also the city did send a copy to my insurance companys attention and the adjuster did tell me he would notify them that they are refusing to pay because the car was stolen. Basically I just want to make sure since the insurance company isn't going to pay that the city cannot pin this on me and try to make me pay for the damages? I will contact the city and give them all the info they need and if they still try to make me liable for this then should I look into getting an attorney? Again thanks for your help so far on this. Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back