Auto Shop destroyed my engine??

TnGal

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
Hello everyone...I don't know if this is the right place for this but here is the situation:

I started getting a random message saying something like "oil engine off, check owner's manual" on my 2012 VW Eos 2.0TSI dashboard. After some online research, it seemed to be a broken sensor. I took it into a nearby auto repair shop where they confirmed that it was a sensor (cost ~$300, labor included). They ordered the part and told me I'd be able to come pick my car up the next day. However, they called me the morning I was supposed to pick up my car and told me that my timing belt had slipped and I needed to take it to the VW because he believed there was a warranty on timing belts by VW and Audi. I said I would come get it and take to VW. They called me again 5 minutes later stating that my car wasn't even running now and they'd have to tow it to VW because he said I could have the cost covered. At VW, they told me they could cover the cost of the timing belt, but not any other damages, other than up to 20% of a brand new engine (~12k). After weeks of going back and forth about pricing and debating what to do, the local auto shop has given me an invoice of about $5,500. Should I pay for this? Am I being screwed? I realize that there has been issues with timing belts before with cars like mine, but I drove my car into the shop without any problems other than the sensor (that they confirmed). Any and all suggestions appreciated!

After weeks of going back and forth about pricing and debating what to do, the local auto shop has given me an invoice of about $5,500. Should I pay for this?

Whether you pay or not, that is a decision you alone must make.

Generally when bills go unpaid, lawsuits can be expected to follow.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

You might seek a thorough evaluation of your car by a VW dealership or VW factory representative in an attempt to determine if the failure was unrelated to the garage, or if it was caused by the garage.

That might cost a couple hundred, but it might save you $5,500.

You might just have a conversation with the service manager at the VW dealership who might have more information to offer you.

You might also consider trading the car, once you resolve the disputed $5,500 with the "garage from hell".

I guess I'm confused: What did the shop do wrong? The mere fact that the timing belt failed while in their possession doesn't make them liable for it.

I guess I'm confused: What did the shop do wrong? The mere fact that the timing belt failed while in their possession doesn't make them liable for it.
That has been my whole question: are they responsible for the timing belt slipping that ruined my engine? I drove my car into their shop and it was running. It just seems like odd coincidence to me and I have trouble trusting mechanics..

That has been my whole question: are they responsible for the timing belt slipping that ruined my engine? I drove my car into their shop and it was running. It just seems like odd coincidence to me and I have trouble trusting mechanics..
The thing about cars is that they work until they don't. You aren't likely to notice any symptoms with the timing belt until it fails, and then it's too late.

Edit: Let say you have a TV that's working absolutely fantastic. Then, you friend comes over, sits down, and hits the "on" button on the remote, but nothing happens. Did your friend break the TV? Of course not.

It still is not clear what the $5500 in repairs is for.
You said you took it in to have $300 work to replace a sensor.
Did they do more than replace the sensor, or is this an estimate to do additional work?

Back