Auto Repossession Rights in Texas

loveojazz

Jurisdiction
Texas
I live in Texas, and recently, my girlfriend and I have split up. In Dec 2021, financed the car that she is driving. The title (and loan) is in my name. I have made all payments (from down payment to monthly). The insurance is in my name, and she's added to my policy. With everything in my name and financially responsible for, then can I legally take the car back at any time? I simply want to cut all contact with her so that I may move forward. If I take the car back (via a repo service), what options does she have? Would she have any bases to sue or have me arrested? I plan on notifying the police when the repo company retrieves it, but should I call the police just in her area or in my area, as well? We lives in two separate major cities that over 200 miles apart.

What was your agreement with your ex-GF regarding to the car?

my girlfriend and I have split up.

Did you ask her to return the car to you?
With what response?
If you didn't ask, why didn't you?
And why not just ask now?

Did you keep a set of the keys?

How long ago was the split? And why did you let her get 200 miles away before addressing the return of the car?

With everything in my name and financially responsible for, then can I legally take the car back at any time?

Seems to me you didn't buy her a car, you bought you a car and let her use it. I have a hard time believing that she'd be able to convince anybody that the car belongs to her.

As Zigner suggests, there may be some "legal" nuances based on what was said when you handed her the keys.

OTOH, it's your car, permission can be revoked at any time. Get it back. Best to notify police where she lives since they'd be the one responding to a call on a disappearing car.

By the way, have you notified your insurance company that the car is now located 200 miles? If you didn't, and there's a claim, your insurance could be in jeopardy for concealing a material fact.

In Dec 2021, financed the car that she is driving. The title (and loan) is in my name. I have made all payments (from down payment to monthly). The insurance is in my name, and she's added to my policy. With everything in my name and financially responsible for, then can I legally take the car back at any time?

It's your car, and nothing suggests otherwise.

If I take the car back (via a repo service), what options does she have? Would she have any bases to sue or have me arrested?

Why would you use "a repo service"? Do you have a key and the ability to get to the car without breaching the peace? Also, I'm not sure I see the point in coming up with a list of options. She could, of course, call the police, and it's impossible for us to predict what the police might do. However, if you have the certificate of title to evidence ownership, the worst that they should do is talk with you. She could also sue you. Based solely on what you've told us, she won't win.

I plan on notifying the police when the repo company retrieves it, but should I call the police just in her area or in my area, as well?

I don't see the point of this.

Back