Auto Purchase Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjkndy

My jurisdiction is: California

On 5 July 09 I purchased a vehicle. I negotiated the out the door price with the salesman and his manager and agreed on the downpayment.The deal was stated all along as a cash deal, no trade-in. After waiting for the usual checking back and forth, I was asked to proceed to the finance office where I was presented with a retail installment Sale contract-simple finance change form to sign. These long yellow forms are quite detailed and require an expert accountant, in my opinion to follow.After some hesitation and exhibiting surprise by seeing the deal take the form of an auto loan agreement, I did sign the form.I was told this is how the deal had to be structured to receive the rebates I was qualified for.After furher review and a mostly sleepless night, I came to the conclusion that in fact I unwittingly signed to pay by $2000 a higher price for the vehicle.In talking to the Finance department about this on the morning of 6 July 09 I was told I would have to take this matter up with the sales team that worked by deal when they come 8 July 09. This morning I very reluctantly I a stop payment order on the down payment check I had left with the dealership at signing.My intent is not to renege on my contract but to recoup some or all of the "overcharge" or negotiate with the dealer a mutually agreed up compromise. What is my legal jeopardy and can this be resolved amicably?

I don't know the regulations regarding these vehicles and whether there are "cool off periods" but I don't think so. You might claim that the representation on paper was not what was agreed. Now here's the big part - did you leave with a vehicle? Is there only paperwork involved at this point? If so, I'd say it's mostly no harm no foul and that neither party wants to go to court and have a protracted dispute. You've now prevented them from obtaining money although they may claim foul that you stopped a check. I'd try to negotiate a compromise. These days, especially, if you're willing to spend money and there is a will then there is a way. If it were me, I'd want to notify the other party immediately not to cash the check and that there is a material mistake in the agreement signed. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back