Auto claim

Mgrant

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
I car was hit and the other party's insurance accepted fault. The damage is minor and I can fix it fairly cheap. But the other insurance is already talking about totaling it due to age. My question is, If they inspect it and decide to declare it a total loss. Can I decline the repairs and go pick up the vehicle and fix it with my own money? Or is it to late at that point?

They are wanting to have the car towed to an auto salvage auction to have the estimate done.

The vehicle runs great and I don't want to have go into debt buying another vehicle.

Can I decline the repairs and go pick up the vehicle and fix it with my own money? Or is it to late at that point?

Yes, you can pay for the repair of your vehicle.

If that is your inclination, I suggest you inform the other party's insurer before it is too late.

The SOONER, the EASIER your life will become.

If you snooze, you might discover what you're considering is too late!!!!

But can decline after they have it moved to inspect it and say it's a total loss? They do not have the vehicle yet, it is still in my possession.

I know this is a strange question but with the over priced car market and the higher interest rates, I don't want to have to buy a car right now. It would be more cost effective to keep and fix it.

If it is declared a total loss you have the option to buy it back for the salvage value and you'll end up with a salvag/rebuilt title.

In Oklahoma a car is a total loss if the repair cost is 60% (or more) of the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of the car.

I suggest you call the adjuster first thing tomorrow and talk about what you want to do.

Back