auto accident settlement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shazdeh

Hi, I am in settlement stage of my body injury due to an auto accident. I have 2 questions:

1 - My lawyer says I and she will get 1/3 each and the other 1/3 will go to a trust fund. Then, she will negotiate with doctors to reduce their bill. Any amount left from trust after paying doctors will be split between I and lawyer. Is this right and typical? I had heard the difference goes to victim and lawyer only gets 1/3.

2 - The other party insurance is paying 15k (max policy), then my lawyer said she will go after my under-insured part of my car policy to get the rest. She is asking me to write a statement that I am accepting 15k settlement so she can move forward. Is this fine? I want to make sure this does not mean I'm ok with 15k only. I have over 50k doctor bills. Is there any note I should include in my statement.

I appreciate any advise.

1. You have an obligation to pay your creditors before taking money for yourself.

2. Without reading the agreement, it is hard to advise you.

You should speak to your attorney about all of this. If you don't understand what your attorney is asking you to do, seek clarification. Or, consult another attorney.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back