Auto Accident in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

newimges

My husband was in an accident in Michigan last month. He was in the right lane and the other driver was in the left lane and just came over into the right lane without any warning and hit our van causing $2800 in damage. The police came and gave the other driver a ticket for Failing to Yield. I contacted our insurance company the next day and made the claim. I also have a copy of the police report. We already had the vehicle fixed and had to pay our $550 deductible.

It turns out that the owner of the other vehicle is a business in Ohio. I am aware of the Mini Tort in Michigan that we can recover $500. My insurance company advised me to send the other insurance company a copy of the Police Report, Declaration, and Estimate of Repairs along with a request for the $500. The other insurance company contacted us directly and told us that the Mini Tort was not covered under the business' insurance policy. My insurance company told me to send the request anyway and ask for their denial in writing.

My question is who do I go after for the $500? The driver of the vehicle or the business that owns the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back