Auto Accident Hospital Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaS3

December 9th I was a passenger in a vehicle in an auto accident.
Neither driver was cited by police for the event therefor it is in insurance investigation.
Most likely Progressive and Geico (insurance companies involved) will split the costs.
I had injuries and had to goto the hospital emergency room.
The bills totaled $22,000.
My health insurance paid all but $1,200 of the bills.
The segregation department from my health insurance is going after both progressive and geico to recover their money.
My question is this:
Both insurance companies have assured me they will pay my medical bills, pay me for pain and suffering as well as 2 days of missed work.
They just tell me these things take time and it will take 60-90 days or so to complete.
This is OK. But the hospital has billed me the remaining $1,200.

They will set me up for collections if I let this bill sit to long won't they? Will this hurt my credit?

The auto insurances tell me to pay what I can on a payment plan and they will reimburse me.

Close friends tell me not to pay anything, it won't hurt my credit to let the bill sit till insurance pays it, and they say if I pay anything it will be nearly impossible to recover my payments from the insurance, they will just pay off the amount still owed.

I am confused as to what to do next, I just got the bill and have at least 30 days before the hospital starts hounding I would imagine.

I believe it is important to note that the hospital bill has no due date, but it does say that $1,200 is billed to 'patient responsibility'.

I have told the hospital (cleveland clinic) that the auto insurance companies of the drivers will pay after they figure out the details of who is paying exactly what, but the hospital only seems to care (rightly so, but so wrong in many ways) about getting their money.

Any advice is appreciated, I am planning on sitting on the bill till the auto insurance co's pay, but am seeking alternative advice!

- Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back