auto accident@5 ms. pregnant-drunk driver totalled my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassnshane

i was in an auto accident in january of 2001. i was the foruth car back, stopped at a red light, around 6 pm (dark), when a pickup truck slammed into the back of my acura integra, going around 40 mph according to the police estimates, and he then fled the scene. his wife later told police he was drinking. i was 5 months pregnant with my second child at the time. i spent 24 hours in the hospital and underwent 3 ultrasounds during this time. my injuries were fairly minor (bruises, scrapes, back and neck pain), and since i was pregnant, i really couldnt have xrays or ct scans, etc. i had intermittent contractions from that point until the end of my pregnancy. i went into preterm labor two months later, and was medicated, and hospitalized for three days (including easter). and put on bed rest for a week after that. my husband and mom had to take care of my 18 month old daughter during this time, and my husband missed a day of work. my insurance company gave me the run around with settling on my car (and seeking repayment from other company later), i did not get a check from them until 3 months after the accident. i still haven't recieved my lost wages, and have been fighting with the ultrasound people over unpaid bills. i am now able to tackle the task of suing this jerk, and getting my just desserts, we worried that i would lose my son in utero, or he would be premature, and it has taken me this long to come to terms with the whole ordeal and seek compensation. i live in md, and was just wondering how to write my demand letter, and also, what to seek above and beyond my expenses and lost wages ie-emotional trauma, pain and suffering, etc. thanks so much.

To begin, nothing is worth fretting about here, especially not since the most important aspect of your life is your newborn! :) All of this will be taken care of in time and, if it isn't, you will get it all back plus more if there has been something awry.

The best thing to do is to apprise your insurance company, by certified mail, return receipt requested and good if you can follow up with a fax (and state that on the letter), that they have deliberately stalled in terms of settling your account. Time and the money is "of the essence" and state why -- your impending bills, upcoming birth, etc. and that all of these needlessly delays cannot and will not be tolerated. The repercussions of their needless delays and stall tactics will likely result in severe damages to you and your family and that you will hold them responsible in the event that there are any further delays. You have done what you can to cooperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back