Attorneys relationship improper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gypsy1957

A certain defense attorney and a certain prosecutor are participating in a criminal case.The prosecutor is prosecuting the case and the defense attorney (public defender) is defending the defendant in this jury trial.The relationship which exists between the prosecutor and the defense attorney is quite interesting.It seems these two people attended law school together in Lansing, Michigan.They started at same time and graduated at same time and were in the same small class.Upon graduation they just happen to relocate to the same location,work in the same county,state and very same court.Conveniently, these two people represent opposite interests in criminal law proceedings on a regular basis.While attending Thomas M Cooley law school in Lansing Michigan from 2002 to 2005 these two just happened to live right next door to each other.Sources in Lansing indicate the relationship between these two people was at the least very close.It is well known they spent a lot of time together.I'm not going to make any deductions but you go figure.What I really want to know is whether this scenario constitutes impropriety,misconduct or conflict of interest in any way with regard to their professional conduct in this court of law where they practice?Thanks for all the help I can get ! tdavis12121@yahoo.com

No, it does not per se constitute misconduct. Lots of lawyers went to law school with lots of other lawyers, lived in close proximity at the time, and went on to practice in the same communities. Some of those lawyers wind up on the opposite sides of files. There is nothing surprising or improper about that.

If they were married, or schtupping, then it would almost certainly be improper. One or the other or both would have to disqualify themselves from adverse representations.

I'm not going to make any deductions but you go figure.

You wouldn't be making deductions, you would be speculating. Unless you've got more, this is just innuendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back