Attorney misrepresentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEGALBUDDY

We are a member of a religious Muslim nonprofit organization (501c3)

The Board of Trustees have an attorney as a member. His position is a secretary of the board.

A couple of months ago (almost 1 year) when I was interested in financial document since we donate money. They refused to release any financial information relating to the Mosque. Their claim as well as the Attorney's claim is that they do not have to follow the US Law in reference to the regulation of the IRS and they have their own law. The attorney that if we choose to use the legal system the person will have a burden on their shoulder. I felt that this was an indirect threat.

They refused to release the amount of the salary of the person who claims to be a priest "IMAM" as well as they are refusing of the individual who handles the donations.

The attorney sometimes in the meetings claims to be not an attorney to the board and other times claims to be their attorney.

Is there basis for legal action?

What is the law in this? Do they have the right to not release any financials as well as salaries of employees? All the money have been donated by the Muslim community.

Is the lawyer have the right to represent and not represent or claim whenever he chooses?

If I file a grievance with the Bar Association, what I should say? Is it true that the attorney can pick choose and make his own law and not follow the law of the US?

I do not know what the law is as to releasinginformation but you do have a choice in donating or not donating. There is nothing to file a grievance with the bar, he does not represent you. Unless you are a board member I doubt that you have any rights.

What is in the bylaws? What is the reason for your desire to inspect the books and records of the company? Just because you donate a few dollars doesn't mean that you have the right to inspect. If you feel so very strongly about this I wouldn't be talking with the Bar Association. This has more to do with state government. You can see below some sample documents of what might appear in, what I am guessing to be, a non-profit corporation in New York State.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/business/not_for_profit.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back