Personal Bankruptcy Attorney filed BK without my consent,HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandlizard

In 2001 I was contemplating bankruptcy and seeked advice from a really good friend of mine, who was also an attorney at the time. I told him everything about my finances and debts in order to give him the information he needed to advise me. After receiving his advice, we discussed it and that was it. I never told him YES I want to file nor did I give him any permissions or reason to believe I wanted to go forth with filing. I ended up moving away and a fews years passed. I moved back home only to find out that my friend was no longer practicing and had lost his license, which was a shock to me. I am now married and have been for 2 years. My wife and I decided we wanted to purchase our first home and when she applied in both of our names we were denied stating there was a presence of bankruptcy on my credit. She began to research and was able to obtain what was " my bankruptcy file". It showed where my friend filed on my behalf, but all that was filed was the petition and nothing further. The check his firm sent for filing fees was returned NSF, and after a while the case was just discharged. I'm guessing all of this took place while I was gone and probably was during his apparent "rough time" when he lost his license. None the less, I did not give permission, nor did I sign anything and now all of this is the reason I can't purchase a home. I have confronted him about this and he just says I have to dispute with the credit agency. Why should I have to clean up the mess. He says he can't do anything. Is this not his fault and shouldn't he be liable for this. Shouldn't he be responsible for repairing my credit. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back