Attorney Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

dqzny

I am in the process of negotiating settlement and have paid close to $100,000 so far in attorney fees. During summary judgment, the other side won a major portion of my complaint, however, I still have the right to pursue my retaliation claim. If settlement can be reached out of court which is in my favor, I was told by anther out of state attorney that I can ask for some attorney fees. Is this true. I asked for 1/3 of my attorney fees to settle the case and the other side said they will not pay it but are considering other terms of the settlement. Is there a law that says if settlement is in favor of one side they are entitled to recover some attorney fees?

Generally, attorneys fees are only recoverable if you actually have an attorney and if the case was taken all the way through trial to the final judgment. If you are settling a case at any time before the trial verdict, you can still make reasonable attorney's fees as part of the deal, but you will not be automatically entitled to attorneys fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back