At fault accident

Feliciand425

Jurisdiction
Florida
I was in a car accident last month. I was at fault. Turned left and hit a motorcycle. The motorcycle was coming pretty fast and I misjudged the timing and the motorcycle ran into my car. My whole front end of my car was torn off. The motorcycle had 2 people on it (no helemts). Both were thrown from the bike. They sustsined pretty severe injuries. I received a ticket for failure to adhere to right of way. Then today I receieved a letter stating that the officer marked on my ticket I have 30 days to pay, however due to the severity of their injuries that I now have to appear in court and answer for this.

What can I expect in this court? Do I need to contact a lawyer? And how bad is this going to be for me?

What can I expect in this court?

You will be asked, HOW DO YOU PLEAD?

If you're smart you'll say, "Not guilty, your honor."

Do I need to contact a lawyer?

Every defendant needs a lawyer.

Have you reported this to your insurance company?

If not, I suggest you do so ASAP.

You'll have to decide if you need one.

And how bad is this going to be for me?

It doesn't look good, and I think you know that already.
It looks worse, if and when the people who you may have injured have their lawyers contact you.

=======================================================
In Florida, persons over 21 years of age may operate or ride upon a motorcycle without wearing a helmet if they are covered by an insurance policy providing for at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a crash while operating or riding on a motorcycle.

Yes it was reported to insurance and they are settling with the insurance company. They are not the ones taking me to court. It is the traffic court that has contacted me with a court date.

Back