Business Contracts Assisted Living Wants Motherinlaw Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang54

Live in NYS and the assisted living is licensed by Dept of Health. DOH does not allow the residents to be in a wheelchair unless: it is an emergency situation, or if the resident can propel itself. Recently my motherinlaw (88) fell and cannot walk on her own and is in a wheelchair. The assisted living she is at told us that they will work with us, but told us to hire a private aide since their staff cannot transfer her easily. We have hired an aide to help her get dressed in the morning since that seems to be their biggest complaint getting her dressed. Once she is dressed she sits in her chair all day and watches movies or TV or plays Bingo. They also told us that we should really have her in a nursing home. We have started the nursing home search but it will be a few months before a bed is available.
Can the assisted living force us to leave? A few people I've talked to said that they can't just throw her out - and to just take our time. But the nurse at the assisted living told me that if an inspector from NYS came in and saw her in a wheelchair he would have a problem with that and would want to know why they are allowing it.

Can they force us to leave? I don't see anything in the contract that says that they can do that.

Why not investigate their claims yourselves?

Check with the NY state licensing authority for assisted living and the health department.

But, why fight them?

They want her out, find her a nursing facility.

Assisted living facilities don't reat want, nor can they properly care for infirm individuals.

A nursing home, the right nursing home, is going to a better fit for your loved one!!!

I agree and we have started the process, but nursing homes have very long waiting lists and until then we need to keep her at this place. They have been asking us how long is the wait- and I tell them that we are on a few waiting lists and as soon as a bed becomes available they will let us know as well as them since the nursing home will require medical information.In the meantime can they just say to us get out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back