Asset Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kidoday

My divorce attorney has taken me to small claims for the bill I owed him for the divorce. It was ordered that my ex pay my attorney fees, but he hasn't done so, so my attorney is going after me, then I have to go after my ex to repay me.

But in the mean time I have been asked to bring the following at the asset discovery hearing.
Tax returns
Deeds, mortgages, land contracts
Checking or savings accounts, certificates of deposit, promissory notes owed to me.
Titles to any vehicles, etc.
Any documentation regarding any money owed to me.
Stock certificates
List of all personal property. TV, Stereo, etc.

What in the above can they make me sell or liquidate to pay the bill. What, if anything is protected?

Thank you for your help.

I will confess to be unfamiliar with an "asset discovery hearing" which I have never heard as being a part of small claims court. Could you elaborate on the court you are in and the proceeding? A small claims court usually has limited power and one of them did not include asset discovery hearings, at least from my knowledge.

Kidoday said:
My divorce attorney has taken me to small claims for the bill I owed him for the divorce. It was ordered that my ex pay my attorney fees, but he hasn't done so, so my attorney is going after me, then I have to go after my ex to repay me.

But in the mean time I have been asked to bring the following at the asset discovery hearing.
Tax returns
Deeds, mortgages, land contracts
Checking or savings accounts, certificates of deposit, promissory notes owed to me.
Titles to any vehicles, etc.
Any documentation regarding any money owed to me.
Stock certificates
List of all personal property. TV, Stereo, etc.

What in the above can they make me sell or liquidate to pay the bill. What, if anything is protected?

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back