Assessors after 11 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jackieblu222

Jurisdiction
Nevada
My Brother passed away almost 11 years ago now. His only aire is my Niece. When he passed she was too distraught to take action. My Brother owned a fully paid for property that is now in trust with the assessors office. Is she still entitled to claim this property for the back taxes and any possible leans? If so, where would she start.

My Brother passed away almost 11 years ago now. His only aire is my Niece. When he passed she was too distraught to take action. My Brother owned a fully paid for property that is now in trust with the assessors office. Is she still entitled to claim this property for the back taxes and any possible leans? If so, where would she start.

P.S. my Brother had life insurance but no will. The property had a house on it but it burned and the city tore it down. It is presently a vacant lot. My Brother passed on 12/10/05.

If the deceased was your brother, your niece isn't the nearest next of kin, you were.

Why?

A sister is a closer relative than a niece.

However, after 11 years, I suspect the title to all of his worldly goods has eschewed to the state of Nevada.

If the deceased was your brother, your niece isn't the nearest next of kin, you were.

Why?

A sister is a closer relative than a niece.

However, after 11 years, I suspect the title to all of his worldly goods has eschewed to the state of Nevada.

The OP referred to the heir as her niece, not her deceased brother's niece, which I took to mean that the niece is her brother's daughter, and wouldn't his child be considered a closer relative than his sister?

That is correct, my niece, my Brother's only child. Thank you. I guess I could have made that a little clearer. I know it has passed to the assessors office and in the records says that they are the trustee of the property. Would they be, "the state"? His name is still associated with the property. Doesn't " the state", have to run a vigorous search for a entitled family member before taking possession?

That is correct, my niece, my Brother's only child. Thank you. I guess I could have made that a little clearer. I know it has passed to the assessors office and in the records says that they are the trustee of the property. Would they be, "the state"? His name is still associated with the property. Doesn't " the state", have to run a vigorous search for a entitled family member before taking possession?

Ask those you believe haven't done enough to do more.

Your niece needs a lawyer.

Lol, well I had that answer. I am also a bit disappointed by the previous remark as well. It feels like I'm taking the brunt of some intellectual snobery. If your intent is only to show intellectual superiority by poking fun at the layman, perhaps this app is not the right venue for your generousity. I could have asked any smart ass on the street to get a reply like this one. I could be wrong but I don't think a stand up routine is what the administrators of this app had in mind. I know, it's not what I was looking for. But hey, thank you for your time, and for wasting mine.

As long as the taxing authority hasn't foreclosed the lien and sold the house to cover the taxes, I think that it's entirely possible that your niece could pay all the back taxes to redeem the property.

However, you wrote that your brother's name was still associated with the property and held in trust by the taxing authority.

My guess is that, once your niece pays all of the back taxes, the taxing authority will release the property back to your brother's estate and the property will have to be probated so that your niece can have property ownership.

I know it has passed to the assessors office and in the records says that they are the trustee of the property. Would they be, "the state"?

More likely the county where the property is located as Nevada property taxes are handled by each county.

Your niece (or you, if you like) can call the county tax office for details on what needs to be done to reclaim the property.

Keep in mind, however, that if the taxes cost more than the property is worth, it might be a better idea to just let it go.

As for the life insurance, what happened to it? It would not be part of the estate and not subject to probate. If your niece was (is) the beneficiary on the policy all she needed to do was file a claim with the insurance company and submit the death certificate.

As for your last question about the taxing authority's responsibility, they have none. Tax laws typically impose all the responsibility on the taxpayer.

Come back if you have any more questions. I promise no snobbery from me. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back