As a legal immigrant what rules/laws need to be followed and whats are your rights in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizIt

Jurisdiction
D.C.
As a legal immigrant with family in USA, what are the basic necessary law need to be known or followed by immigrant family. USA is highly completed with lots of regulations from every directions- Family, Work. Drive, Vehicle, Society, Government, Culture, etc. I am looking to learn / know basic laws which is needed for immigrant family to follow in USA without breaking any of them and falling into traps without know it. As a legal immigrant whats are rights and obligation of immigrants? Where I can find those rules, guidelines online. Thanks

You must follow all laws ---- federal, state and local, even if you are unaware of them. It's a large amount and as far as I know there is not one specific place to find them all. Not even an attorney knows all of them. Like you said, each "direction" has it's own and sometimes something that is legal in one state or local, is not legal in another. Honestly, if in doubt ask someone. There are obviously some overarching basics.

Don't steal, don't hurt others, don't drive after drinking or taking medications that affect your abilities, Don't lie or say untrue things about others, Register your cars/pay for licenses to drive/ work etc. Don't get into fights/physical altercations, etc. Honestly a lot of it is common decency/morals.

Be polite, respectful and friendly with police if stopped, but don't be afraid to ask for an attorney for anything beyond a speeding ticket. Best not to do anything suspicious to be stopped in the first place.

I would suggest making some friends through work,social or church type activities that you can trust to help you out. Some churches have specific ministries to immigrant families, even if you are a different faith, or none at all.

As a legal immigrant with family in USA, what are the basic necessary law need to be known or followed by immigrant family. USA is highly completed with lots of regulations from every directions- Family, Work. Drive, Vehicle, Society, Government, Culture, etc. I am looking to learn / know basic laws which is needed for immigrant family to follow in USA without breaking any of them and falling into traps without know it. As a legal immigrant whats are rights and obligation of immigrants? Where I can find those rules, guidelines online. Thanks

If you are a legal immigrant, welcome, and you were given the rules when you received your legal status.

Essentially the rules aren't complicated, just don't steal, kill, rob, rape, speed, run stop signs, molest children, etc...

Why do you seem conflicted about what's logical?

Wherever you emigrated from that nation had similar laws.

The USCIS, an agency you must be familiar with, publishes a helpful, FREE, online brochure.

Here, take a look:

Settling in the U.S.

All over the internet is where you find all that information.

Plus, Uncle Sam is so benevolent his nieces and nephews brief newly arrived or designated immigrants, and gift them oodles of reading material in their mother or father tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back