Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Arrested for public disorderly conduct while intoxicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbeeguysc

Hi,

I was arrested a couple of weeks ago at a college football game for public disorderly conduct while being very intoxicated. I have court tomorrow morning and I have already met with a lawyer for some information. (I didn't hire him, I was referred to him by a friend). He said that I basically have two options....1st, I can plead not guilty which means that this case would go to full jury trial. The second option would be to see if I can enroll into a pre-trial intervention program where everything would be wiped clean off my records.

My question to you is if there is a 3rd option where I plead guilty, pay the fines, and then later get the arrest expunged from my records? How long would that process take? I know that I am guilty so I do not want to go through the process of a full trial, and with work, I'm unsure if I can do the PTI program. Thanks!

Oh, and this was also my 1st offense and 1st arrest.

Not sure of your State, but in mine 5 years after a conviction one can work to get it expunged.

You should not plead guilty unless you know and accept what your sentence will be. As a general rule, one should not plead guilty at arraignments.

If you plead not guilty, you don't then just have a full-on jury trial, you should then have a "pre-trial conference" where your lawyer, or you, can talk with the prosecutor and try to work out a deal.

The PTI might be a good idea, though. In the long term, that is probably a better option than what you want to do. . .

A public dis-con is not a big deal. For that reason, you want to talk with the DA before you make any pleadings. There is a chance that he will give you an offer for a lesser offense. Take that, and THEN plead guilty.

Definitely listen to NY. My brother was in a similar situation last year and got a lesser charge immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back